Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner? - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2008, 04:20 AM   #171
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Erskine
Dan,
What do you think about the Squeezebox?
regards
The Squeezebox is a networking tool, able to transfer data intact; however, its inbuilt sound fares no better, no worse than the common "sound card upgrade" products. An exception is that the Squeezebox has a digital output port where you can plug in a real HiFi DAC to bypass the retail-grade sound mess inside the Squeezebox.

So, for wired/wireless networking of audio with Squeezbox, its:
Computer
Network
Squeezebox
HiFi DAC
Preamplifier*
Amplifier
Speakers

*The preamplifier may not be necessary if the HiFi DAC has sufficient gain when at 2/3rds or lower output.
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:24 AM   #172
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by danielwritesbac

Although the new design is so simple that it should work for quite the variety of applications, I'm waiting on more thorough testing.

My reservation (and additional testing) comes from the polite "non comment" of post #131, where Peter liked the 15k input impedance, but made no comment on other resistor settings.
The possible meanings are:
1). Didn't like the design
2). Doesn't go with the Audiosector kit
3). Would do something differently
4). Wasn't as interesting as the 15k deal

Possibilities 2 and 4 are a sure thing, leaving no information whatsoever about possibilities 1 and 3.
Last time, it was #3, so more "exploration" and testing is indicated.

In the mean time, it would be great to figure out how to get the chipamps into the amplifier enclosure as easily as possible.
He simply doesn't like to complicate things, if something works fine for years, why changing it?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:19 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
He simply doesn't like to complicate things, if something works fine for years, why change it?
Thanks man! I understand.

My only answer to that question is that I would like for the design to outlive CD technology. Of course there are more elegant options than the simple passive buffer that I presented; however, it was requested.

I'd rather. . .

It would be great if Audiosector had a cool little preamp kit for use with chipamp projects, in that would make the whole "preamp thing" to be ever so much easier, because of the durable and elegant nature of your kits. Maybe even a preamp kit with onboard USB DAC (both analog and USB inputs)?

I would like to see the "active" powered options presented. So, if you'd like to advertise them, please do, because it would be highly useful for beginners to know how to get their music purchases into their amplifiers as nicely as possible.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:33 AM   #174
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My only answer to that question is that I would like for the design to outlive CD technology. Of course there are more elegant options than the simple passive buffer that I presented; however, it was requested.
Dan, a buffer is there to match impedances between source (output) and amplifier (input). For that reason, it cannot be "passive" (unless you use a transformer)!

Quote:
Maybe even a preamp kit with onboard USB DAC (both analog and USB inputs)?
A good example of what you ask for will entail the use of SMD (surface mount) components rendering it unsuitable for beginners. If somebody has been able to complete a chip amp, they should be more than capable of building either a simple buffer or pre amp. Like the chip amp, there are comparatively few components involved, and they can easily be constructed on strip-board.

Dan - have you heard of re-inventing the wheel?

Your assessment of the Squeezebox system is quite correct. In my experience, whether you need that extra gain in a pre-amp is also down to the efficiency of the speakers involved. But even if there is enough gain, you may need a buffer for the purposes of impedance matching.

But I can't help feel this thread is now a long way on (off?) from gychang's original question.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:42 AM   #175
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default kit vendor?

Hi,
what was the question?
ah!
Quote:
Originally posted by gychang
would prefer to order all in one kit form, is there a vendor for this?
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:11 AM   #176
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To which the definitive answer is (IMHO) - NO

because

Choice of transformer is dependent on speakers.
Shipping of transformers adds greatly to the cost.
Choice of case is personal taste.
Keeping all the components for a complete amp in stock is prohibitive for a small enterprise.
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:36 AM   #177
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RE:Post #168

Dan -

As you state tough part is hooking everything up I'd think primary newbee concern being enough enough space to easily work with.

Aesthetics beyond that a user option.

Light for on/off?
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:33 AM   #178
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What a Thread !!

This thing is somethin else.

You can't go away for more than a few hours (I just did) or you miss plenty.

Andrew T - Regards your post # 175 . My confusion is now eliminated, I hadn't looked far enough to find the connection, nor had others who saw things the same way. See posts #2 and posts #14. For anyone who has read posts #3 - #13 as well I think the die was cast.

Nuuk - Regards your posts # 174 and #176. Both of these make me wish you had been involved earlier than you were. Excellent points again. The SMD was part of what had troubled Gychang from the onset.

Bluto
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:37 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
Dan, a buffer is there to match impedances between source (output) and amplifier (input). For that reason, it cannot be "passive" (unless you use a transformer)!
. . .
Dan - have you heard of re-inventing the wheel?
. . .
But I can't help feel this thread is now a long way on (off?) from gychang's original question.
The impedance change is the input filter cap, with the assumption that the cap is the source--a PA alternative. Its no secret that I'd have rather used a preamp. That wasn't wanted. Okay. I'm aware that the term "passive buffer" implies that its a cheat. That's exactly right. Hey, its about 8 cents, very simple, and it has been working well so far. This is, by request, a "no preamp" project.

However, I would like to see some non-confounding preamp options presented. And, where are they?

Gychang's original question? Oh, I'm working on that one. Its going quite well. Waiting on post office.
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:38 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
To which the definitive answer is (IMHO) - NO

because

Choice of transformer is dependent on speakers.
Shipping of transformers adds greatly to the cost.
Choice of case is personal taste.
Keeping all the components for a complete amp in stock is prohibitive for a small enterprise.

KUDOS!!

EDIT: Thanks for explaining it so concisely.

EDIT2: Actually, Audiosector gave a "yes" answer, and you've also explained the "why" for the price of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!