Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: kit vendor?

Nuuk said:

But I can't help feel this thread is now a long way on (off?) from gychang's original question. ;)

AndrewT said:
Hi,
what was the question?
ah!

This thread is the forum version of nails on the blackboard.
Instead of simplifying, it confuses further. It's completely loaded down with one mans distorted views and misconceptions, and those who don't know any better nodding their heads in agreement.

Not even good for a laugh - it's too irritating.

There should be an "ignore thread" button.

John & Nuuk -

I did say something about being made a public Fool in one of the earliest posts.

I admittingly don't know better and maybe thats why I like it.

I wonder, in the end , if Dan succeeds to have come up with as good a design as others that are on the Web will he be credited?

For my own education at this point I'd like to hear from those of you involved in this thread 'who's' published designs you believe to be poorly executed as well as those of whom you approve. It would help me later as I learn if I ever get to the point of actually knowing why a given circuitry is good or bad.

Bluto

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Bluto,
I don't know who's kit is the best. I really haven't paid attention to them, as I would be doing it all from scratch anyway.
The point is there isn't going to be a big difference from one implementation to the next, as long as you do it correctly in the first place.
The ones that I have built have been dead silent, low DC offset (~2mV), stable, sound good and are easy to put together. These are the things that count.
Dan keeps beating the preamp dead horse, but unless you have some non-consumer audio equipment it is not at all needed.
Soundcard output is more than adequate for a line input.
Quality soundcards are NOT a poor source.

Bluto, instead of polluting your mind in this thread, listening to silliness, do a little research on your own. There are lots of reliable sources for accurate information on the net. Like I said before, get a grip on the basics, especially power supply, before you start.

Attachments

• chip amp tiny.png
    chip amp tiny.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,398
Bluto, nobody here as far as I know is trying to rubbish Dan, or his enthusiasm.

What some of us are concerned about is that on a thread topic that will obviously attract complete beginners, his constant lack of clarity (and I am being very charitable ;) ) is likely to deter people from having a go themselves at what is really a simple audio project.

As regards as which design of chip amp is good, I can only re-state that all the ones shown on my site work, and work well. I think if you Google around, and the person putting forward a circuit has built it, you can assume it is a good one and works.

But please don't get hung up on the design. It is Dan you has led you to worry about that when it really isn't an issue at your stage of GC building! If you are not going for a kit, pick a circuit (off DD if you wish), order the parts and build it. Don't worry about 'issues' like

The impedance change is the input filter cap, with the assumption that the cap is the source--a PA alternative.

That is something that matters on 'planet Dan', and not in the real world of chip amp building. Sorry if I appear harsh but I don't want to see people misled, even if it is unintentionally!

Hi John -

I've just been going back and reading some of the beginning threads here and then following posters to posts on builds they'd done and then to designs they followed.

Much of what these people say on this thread baffles me considering what they said on those threads.

I could take the time to respond to each point both you and Nuuk make in his next point but so much of it would be redundant and as much as I've appreciated the input from both of you it puzzles me that you don't seem to see that you both contradict yourselves at times.

I simply challenge anyone (lot of people besides you guys peekin in the window!) who considers himself an expert in this section of the forum to just start a thread entitled 'How I built my 1st gainclone - a newbees approach' and document every single step you took, photograph it at each step and explain why with references. As Gychang said - "No schematic - ' red wire to ... ' "! When you're done post the whole thing at once and sit back and field questions. If you have done it properly there won't be many! From that point it ought to turn into nothing but a newbee watering hole. The Author can sit back and daily pat himself on the back. It very simply should not take 100 hours of reading and going from site to site to build a GC.

I've said on more than 1 occasion it does not exist on the Web to my knowledge. If it did most newbees would have had their 1st GC built in 1/4th the time it takes to read this thread. I've yet to see a single person refute my statement.

Bluto

I have to say this.

I've been told at least 30 times since this thread started to 'read..., read...,read... .

All of the people stating that have failed to READ that I initially stated just how much I've read, what I've read about, where I've read it , the conclusions I've drawn from what I read , and the simplest point of all which was cause for the start of the thread ... nothing read provides answers desired!

Some are not seeming to get that ALL that was initially desired was a simple illustrated read.

I didn't need to READ 2% of what I've read to build a GC. I needed a few more photos combined with an explanation as to what I was doing. Neither does any other newbee. Let them read after they build the GC !

Nuuk - to the best of my knowledge you have the finest website on the net regarding gainclones. Despite that it does not provide what was initially asked for.

Before this is over, someone will do just that.

Bluto said:
I have to say this.

I've been told at least 30 times since this thread started to 'read..., read...,read... .

Nuuk - to the best of my knowledge you have the finest website on the net regarding gainclones. Despite that it does not provide what was initially asked for.

Before this is over, someone will do just that.

As the author of this thread, Bluto seems to understand the best the initial intent of my post.

my t-amp clone amp does not have enough power to drive my speaker in the moderately large room. I need about 50W/ch to drive my 8"(fullrange Pionner speakers 8Ohms-I cheated and added a tiny tweeter) DIY speakers. Not to divert attention, speaker build has been detailed here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106799&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

----
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unfortunately I am an electronics dummy, can not read schematics at all and at my age with limited time, not an easy task. I need to build GC to drive these but would like "absolute dummy pictorial guide"

gychang

Absolutely amazing!!

Greg - I was over at full range speakers and was just going to address a post to you asking for help to give these guys some perspective.

They don't seem to get what 'doesn't know' means.

Tell the truth now and don't leave me on a limb. Do you have audio questions that in your own mind are so dumb you don't even bring them to the forums but call Best Buy instead?

Thank You!

Bluto

Greg - I was over at full range speakers and was just going to address a post to you asking for help to give these guys some perspective.

Tell the truth now and don't leave me on a limb. Do you have audio questions that in your own mind are so dumb you don't even bring them to the forums but call Best Buy instead?

Well please help 'these guys' to understand then. Give us one such question and let's see if the answer is really not out there somewhere!

Peter -

Yours is one of the manuals I've read more than 4 times.

You have a great product, no one can dispute that.

It would take more time than either of us have for me to tell you what it needs to be 'newbee friendly'. Thats not a cop out on my part, just fact, I'd put thought into it in the past. I'd also wondered were the time available for either of us if the additions or changes I'd have wanted to see put in would not confuse veteran builders. Seems there ought to be a compromise in there.

FWIW Yours was obviously pretty well thought out and in my opinion the best I've read.

Yours is a goal amp for me.

Bluto

Gychang -

See Peters post #194.

" If this isn't the absolute dummys guide I don't know what is".

I give up Pal ! I'm lower in the food chain than an 'absolute dummy'. You can't say I didn't try.

I am seriously laughing out loud and wishing I knew these guys personally. It would be near to riotous to see what it is they all 'don't know'.

I think I'm giving this a rest.

Bluto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.