Need some help with DAC and LM386

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The LM386 is not a very quiet IC...It is actually very noisy and probably isnt suitable for what you want to use it for....

They use the LM386 for small Battery powered amps and they are used quite a bit in Distortion pedals because they are so noisy...

I would select a better audio opamp.....

:D

schematic2.jpg

this is the one

I have no idea how big is the output ac voltage of your DAC, but I'm sure that you don't need 200x gain for the LM386, that you've set with the 10uF capacitor between pin 1 and 8.

Leaving pin 1 and 8 floating gives a gain of 20, I think that would be pretty enough for your application, so I suggest to simply remove the capacitor between pin 1 and 8. (or any gain can be set between 20 and 200, just have a look at the datasheet of LM386...)

One more thing: the capacitor between pin 7 and GND is VERY useful against noises, do not ever skip it.

Unnecessary gain can easily produce disturbing noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.