Portable Mp3 player speaker amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2008, 08:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Portable Mp3 player speaker amp

Hi I've been working on a portable speaker system for my mp3 player and up to this point have been using old computer speaker amplifiers to little success.
I came across Gainclone amps and was wondering if this would be a practical application.
Weight is a minor issue as it already is rather large and and extra few pounds wouldnt matter.
Would it be possible to power the amplifier through a battery supply?
Also what sort of footprint do these amps usually have?
Is there any online store which sells all the part neccessary for construction for a reasonable price?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Nick
Old 16th April 2008, 09:13 PM   #2
dfdye is offline dfdye  United States
diyAudio Member

How much power do you think you will want? if you are looking for battery power, this sounds like an application for a class D amp due to the efficiency.

Also, I have heard of people driving Sonic Impact amps via 12V batteries to good effect. Buying that amp as a module and ripping the guts out to use in your portable system would get you a more efficient amplifier than most any chipamp solution.
Old 18th April 2008, 01:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That looks perfect. thanks for the help.
Old 18th April 2008, 02:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, check out the Class D forums, and especially look for the Tripath-based designs.

These offer superb sound for a portable device and are 80%+ efficient and run great on widely available 12 v. batteries. You can buy a Sonic Impact and rip it apart (and upgrade the input and power caps), buy a preassembled board, or build from a kit.

There are two flavors of the 12v Tripath chips: the 2024, which has a 15 wpc into 4 ohms spec, and the 2020/2021B, which offers 25 wpc. You'll get better battery life with the former, but slightly more sound from the latter.

I suggest you look at the kits at 41hz.com, especially the Amp 6, and if you're a killer solderer, the amp 32. Prices are very good, and in my experience, the sound beats the pants off even a well-modded Sonic Impact.

Have fun.

--Buckapound
Old 18th April 2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Bearman is offline Bearman  United States
diyAudio Member

Excellent advice there Buck. I put a Amp32 in a small Ratshack project box and use a external 8 AA battery holder for the 12v.

I take it backpacking with me and it's great to have tunes 50 miles away from nowhere.

Hide this!Advertise here!