LM1875 PCB, Which To Use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
zikinho said:
Any experience with the PSU voltage regarding the sound? With what kind of rail voltage did you get the best sound?
you must follow the recommendations for maximum rail voltage as spelled out by National.
This depends very much on the load impedance and the heatsink dissipation ability.
You can use a lower voltage but I do not recommend you adopt a higher voltage.
Generally, supply <=+-40Vdc for 8ohms, <=+-30Vdc for 4ohms.

You can use up to ±30 V with 8 Ohm speakers and up to ±25 V with 4 Ohm speakers. The latter could run into heatsinking limits.

If you have the 200 VA 2x18 V transformer lying around, use it. The voltage is okay and the power,...

well, you will have lots of headroom even with a two-channel amplifier. :D

pacificblue said:
You can use up to ±30 V with 8 Ohm speakers and up to ±25 V with 4 Ohm speakers. The latter could run into heatsinking limits.

If you have the 200 VA 2x18 V transformer lying around, use it. The voltage is okay and the power,...

well, you will have lots of headroom even with a two-channel amplifier. :D

There's a problem with the thermal junction, along with a few things I didn't want to mention because there could be electroshock or full-rail DC offset from a damaged chip because of what happens when it has expired.

Okay, so I gave conservative figures and you caught me. ;)

Any moment, I expect AndrewT to come along and tell me that my conservative figures are too high.

What can be done?
Maybe this:

Attachments

• circuit-power-amp-super-bridge-120w-by-ic-tda2030.jpg
    circuit-power-amp-super-bridge-120w-by-ic-tda2030.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,172
@PacificBlue Look at that! There's an exposed heatsink and a ground reference within 1 cm of each other. My voltage figures were correct. I gave the voltage figures assuming an insulator pad will be used with LM1875 for safety.

@zikinho Its not difficult to create a parallel LM1875 amplifier. That can use your 18vac+18vac transformer along with either 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers.

zikinho said:
I have another tranny 150VA, 2x20VAC. Thanks for the answers.

Is this a center tap (3 wire output) or is it a dual secondaries (4 wire output)? I ask, because it is possible to create a very inefficient rectifier for a dual secondaries transformer. Some purposeful inefficiency at the rectifier will drop the rail voltage. This is just slightly complex to do, and there's no need to discuss all that bother if that is a center tap transformer for which the technique wouldn't make a sufficient voltage drop.

danielwritesbac said:

Is this a center tap (3 wire output) or is it a dual secondaries (4 wire output)? I ask, because it is possible to create a very inefficient rectifier for a dual secondaries transformer. Some purposeful inefficiency at the rectifier will drop the rail voltage. This is just slightly complex to do, and there's no need to discuss all that bother if that is a center tap transformer for which the technique wouldn't make a sufficient voltage drop.

It is a center tap. Both of them are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.