diyAudio (
-   Chip Amps (
-   -   Building a Stereo PCB (

Anarion 28th March 2008 10:59 PM

Building a Stereo PCB
Hi everyone i was willing to build my own PCB. And i was thinking, since i plan making a stereo system, is it convenient? Or should i stay with the dual mono solution?

So should use four capacitors of 2200F or may i use two of 4400F?

BWRX 28th March 2008 11:07 PM

It's your PCB, you can do whatever you want! :)

Anarion 28th March 2008 11:10 PM


Originally posted by BWRX
It's your PCB, you can do whatever you want! :)

That's obvious, off course i would do what i please. But what i mean to ask is if that would be a problem, or anything like that.
Because even if you build two separate PCBs the would be in parallel position....

BWRX 29th March 2008 12:12 AM

Dual mono means two completely separate amps, each having its own power supply. If you have two chips running off of the same power supply that is a stereo amp.

You could use 2 larger or 4 smaller caps. What you need to take into consideration is how much room they would take up, how much they would cost, what brand you want to buy, etc. and how that fits into your design criteria.

You are asking a very general question, so you will get different answers depending on who you ask.

danielwritesbac 29th March 2008 05:30 AM

Speaking of different answers. . . ;)

I understand the question as if there are two mono chipamps on one board, and that the power supply is also on that same board.

If so, then the usual approach is a pair of 4700uF, along with 2 pair of 220uF, and 2 pair of 100nF. This would be a bare minimum (its also a guess). Its possible to do many other varieties. Just know that the smoothing task will get done first, before there are reserves (left over) available for the amplifier to use during transients. However, too much can make an amplifier get hot or possibly an audio artifact. That makes a question of how much.

It might be possible to get close or find an example if given the amplifier, voltage, and its application. Otherwise. . .

I can only think of one way to answer this question. Experimenter's board is like phenolic board (veroboard), except that all of the holes have circular pads (dots). You can create the proposed design (connect the dots), and have the whole thing done rather quickly. It answers the questions about components in applied application, so then when the PCB's are designed, it will be a design that already works nicely.
You'll know for sure if it works. . . when it does.

There's a caveat. I think its necessary to specify and use a particular (specific) voltage for optimal results. Otherwise you might need (want) to design the power supply(s) as a seperate board(s) per voltage range. Even then, you still need to (should) specify the cable gauge and length between amplifier and power supply.

EDIT: That goes along with the concept of using "widely available" components, so you might want to check out what's available so that when PCBs are made then the results can be duplicable. My personal preference on the power caps would be Mallory (Cornell) and Nichicon because of the quality vs price and because of their widespread availability.
I think that the more specific you can get on the prototype, then the better the PCBs will work. Have fun!!

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio