Question about noise? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2008, 03:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question about noise?

Friend found a guide that says that replacing the input capacitor with a 1k ohm resistor can fix a lot of noise issues? First question is this true? Second question is, is Cz in this circuit the input capacitor?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th March 2008, 04:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Cz and Rz form the zobel filter on the output.
As to noise reduction, I would ask, what noise?

cheers,
7/10
Old 28th March 2008, 04:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's like a hum it doesn't change volume or anything. I've tried Peters grounding idea before with no luck. It's the only noise there. My friend has another GC amp thats from chipamp.com and he said they put a 1k ohm resistor in place of the input cap and said it fixed their hum problems.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:11 AM   #4
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As far as I can see this amplifer has no input capacitor it apears to be directly coupled.

Are you running both the amplifers from one transformer. If you are it is likely that is is this that is causing your hum. You could reduce it by making the wires from the PCB to the amps as short as possible. But the best way to solve it would be to use seperate transformers for the two amplifers.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 29th March 2008, 12:39 AM   #5
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could also probably cure this by using one power supply and rectifiers, but for best results all grounds would be returned to the psu, the signal ground via a 10 ohm resistor. Unfortunately it doesnt look like isolating signal ground from power ground is possible on the Audiosector boards.

My self build Gainclone uses one psu + transformer in this manner, and there's no hum at all.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It only uses 1 rectifier board and one transformer.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xiphmont
Default Re: Question about noise?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dougie085
Friend found a guide that says that replacing the input capacitor with a 1k ohm resistor can fix a lot of noise issues? First question is this true? Second question is, is Cz in this circuit the input capacitor?

It's true that film caps can and will pick up capacitively coupled noise on a high-impedence input. You can either eliminate the capacitor (this has liabilities) or shield the cap by enclosing it in foil/aluminum tape/can and grounding that shielding to the chassis.

But you haven't shown any evidence you actually *have* an input capacitor :-) There's none on that board. Did you add one inline with the input?
Old 29th March 2008, 01:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

No I didn't I wasn't sure I had one. I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the noise. I have the audiosector integrated amp chassis. It's not setup for integrated use its just the chassis. The wires are relatively short. Let me post some pictures.

This are older images the binding posts are actually isolated from the chassis now and what not.
Old 29th March 2008, 01:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xiphmont
Quote:
Originally posted by Dougie085
No I didn't I wasn't sure I had one. I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the noise. I have the audiosector integrated amp chassis. It's not setup for integrated use its just the chassis. The wires are relatively short. Let me post some pictures.

This are older images the binding posts are actually isolated from the chassis now and what not.
I hope they're isolated :-)

Is the hum still there with the inputs shorted? Is it the speaker humming or the transformer itself? Only when it's plugged into the source? I don't see any obvious wiring errors. Please describe the problem in more detail.

Using more than one amp off the same PSU/tranny does *not* cause hum problems. It can cause power demand and cross-channel coupling problems, but it doesn't cause hum (all by itself).

edit: Oh, actually I do have a question from the picture... where is your chassis ground?

Monty
Old 29th March 2008, 01:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

When the inputs are shorted it hums. It doesn't home when nothing is connected only when something is connected....umm like I said it doesn't get louder as volume goes up. What else would you like to know?

Hide this!Advertise here!