Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2008, 03:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've got a couple of wild guesses for you, and that's exactly what they are. Here goes.

There's no dampening on the input. If a potentiometer isn't used, then a 22k or 50k resistor (between hot and ground of input--make a load at input) could be helpful. That would be one resistor per each channel, if a dual gang stereo potentiometer is absent. Load at input--try this first.

The rectifier board is darn far from the amplifier, and the cables for left and right are uneven lengths. Uneven lengths for stereo layout is a pet peeve of mine, but the too long part is a problem. I think the power supply can't overcome that cable length, and thus perhaps the large caps onboard the amplifier boards are performing smoothing rather than having any reserve, and thus leaving the amplifier without that resource makes. . . rectifier buzzzzz
Well, that's just a guess.

Do you have a ground loop breaker? If not, then your source device may be preferring your amplifier's ground to its own power ground (buzzzz).
So, do you have a buzz when using a battery powered source? If not, then consider a ground loop breaker.

Also useful against ground loops, perhaps 8R in series with the input signal ground? When I tried that, it didn't help much, but it made a lovely bass booster, for no reason I could think of.
Old 29th March 2008, 04:31 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

It still hums (no buzz here) even with battery sources. We just ordered some decent hookup wire tonight and some larger guage. I'm going to try and do a quad star ground. The wire thats in there now is some reprocessed stuff from radio shack because its what I had. So when I get that wire I'll rewire the amp with the star ground scheme. I don't really know how to get the rectifier board any closer. Peter Daniels sells these amps in this chassis and doesn't have any issues. So I don't think its the rectifier board being far away.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Try unbolting the power transformer and temporally place it out side of the enclosure. Or at least as far as possible from the amp PC boards.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't really think thats it honestly like I said before Peter Daniels uses this chassis for a lot of his amps and has no problems. I'll try it when I go to rewire it though just to try it. Should have the wire and stuff next week sometime.
Old 30th March 2008, 11:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Your transformer looks to be larger than the receiver's. The receiver's AC wiring is much neater and farther away from the PC boards.
Old 30th March 2008, 11:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

You mean the transformer wiring? Not sure what your getting at here? The new wire I ordered is larger.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

All the AC power wiring.
Start at the power cord connector (by the way where is the chassis ground ?)
Twist and dress the power wires against the chassis side wall.
Pull all the excess into the front compartment.
Rotate the transformer so that the wires are as near the front as possible.
No power wires should be anywhere near the amp PC boards.
Dress the audio input wires against the rear chassis wall then stright forward to the PC board connectors.
Probably do the same for the speaker wires.

Did I say twist all the power wires and get them far from the PC boards?
Old 31st March 2008, 12:54 AM   #18
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedskater
(by the way where is the chassis ground ?)

ditto. What is your ground pin of your power cord connected to?

I have the exact same boards. I use two transformers, and no case at all - all the parts are mounted on a wood board. I have absolutely no noise at all, which is pretty amazing.

Make sure CHG is connected to the ground of your power cord.
Old 31st March 2008, 12:58 AM   #19
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

What do you have connected to PG- and V- (which has a green wire? shouldn't be grounded...)?
Old 31st March 2008, 01:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The AC ground is connected to the chassis right above the transformer in that pic. It's hard to see. Also note thats an old picture the AC wires are shorter and are twisted up and stay pretty much against the wall. they really aren't close to the PCB's.

Hide this!Advertise here!