lm3886 electrical noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2008, 05:38 PM   #1
eketehe is offline eketehe  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Post lm3886 electrical noise

i'm just finish to instaled 2.1 soundsystem in my mom's kitchen.
its dual lm3886 + ETI 150watt ( 4 transistor ) powered by single square 10A transformator 220v/24V - 0 - 24V, 25A diode bridge and 2 x 12.000uf/50V and 2 x 8200uf/50v in paralel, and a pair of 100nf wima MKP/100v at the end.

i built this all to replace my previous DIY project, 2.1 of 2 x lm1875 + 70watt bjt amp which sounds to weak to drive my 2 x 3ways especially the 12" woofer and my 10" subwoofer.

it runs and sounds well, with more detail and kicking on bass, for mid and hight freq i have to say that the previous lm1875 produce a little more natural sound.

i just realized that 1 chanel producing a smooth electrical noise, i thought its from coolcase near of left speakers. sound alike., but when i turn it off/on found yes, it was from my left drivers. so smooth, i find this problem two days after and i don't find this problem before, since test one by one of the three amp before instaling.

i put my suspicions for these points :
- The transformator is to small to supply power for alltogether runs amp, or maybe the capasitor bank? or the square transformator i/o toroids?.
- ETI amp is not match with LM3886 and eats most of all power supply.
- less grounding.. for i put the amp up near the roof.
- kitchen room is not suitable for any soundsystem except mini-compos, and the refregerator operation may infect to a/c in.
- long driver cables, its about 3.5 metres per chanel.

your input would might be kill this noise and solve my problem.
thks
Old 27th February 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Input? Exactly. Is there a load at the amplifier's input, directly before the cable starts its long run? Such could be a potentiometer or resistor (parallel--a load). . . But, is it there?

Is there a 330pF (or so) cap at (parallel) the input to stop radio interference?

Is there a speaker zobel in place, oh say, 4 ohms with 0.15uF, or anything similar?

How long do the DC power lines run before reaching the amplifier boards? If its very long, those boards may need additional capacitiance at the rails.

Are the grounds seperate, such as input, output, and power, once met, never meet again?

Hey, that's all the ideas I have. Kudos for a cool kitchen sound system.
Old 27th February 2008, 04:08 PM   #3
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

How about starting out with and EMI filter just before the transformer....

Also, are you able to move the system into a different room to see if that affects the noise....

You may very well have a bad transformer....I had a bad one at one point...actually it was a cheap one. Once I changed it all was good.
Old 27th February 2008, 05:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tks for the kudos, mostly something new for me.

[QUOTE]
Input? Exactly. Is there a load at the amplifier's input, directly before the cable starts its long run? Such could be a potentiometer or resistor (parallel--a load). . . But, is it there?
---------
the source is from other box ( plastic ), conected by RCA jack. the source is an analog radio, cd rom, mini jack to play music from mp3 payer / handphone and a three point chanel selector. the signal splited to meet the crossover active for subwoofer and tl074's tone control with defeat mode, yes theres a 50K mono pot and 100K stereo pot. i have check signals with earphones, the out signals from this box is clear.

Quote:
Is there a 330pF (or so) cap at (parallel) the input to stop radio interference?
-----------
this is new for me, i usualy put 100K ohm in paralel, but for this project i didn't. i will try your idea for 1st action.

Quote:
Is there a speaker zobel in place, oh say, 4 ohms with 0.15uF, or anything similar?
-----------
Pls kindly adv what is the speaker zobel? how's the usage / install?
fyi, the woofers is in sit floor boxes, but i separate the midrange, hang at 1,7metres height and tweeters at 2,5 metres. the pssive crossover is also outside the speaker's box.

Quote:
How long do the DC power lines run before reaching the amplifier boards? If its very long, those boards may need additional capacitiance at the rails.
-------------
its about 15cm long, 1 spin 'em together before met the board. there is additional capacitance.

thanks for the precious info
Old 27th February 2008, 05:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

dear wboyd,
Thanks for the inputs, and sorry to ask what is EMI filter means?
Old 27th February 2008, 06:40 PM   #6
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs, and sorry to ask what is EMI filter means?
No problem at all....Electro Magnetic Interference Filter.....essentially it gets rid of the "noise" in the line.

Go here and check some examples out - http://www.filterconcepts.com/ac_filters.html But they can be had just about anywhere...I bought a box of them on GreEdBay for about 5 bucks.

I have no idea as to what type of power you have coming into your house.....but there are several options available.
Old 27th February 2008, 10:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eketehe
. . . i usualy put 100K ohm in paralel, but for this project i didn't. i will try your idea for 1st action.
The 100k ohm should work fine. However, 22k is stronger for noise-kill. Since 56k is in-between, maybe try that for the first go?

Another fix for crazy noises is to smear on some flux and re-solder the connections, nice, tight, and shiny. Be sure to touch only with a bright clean soldering iron tip.
I use #0000 fine steel wool to polish the soldering iron tip whenever its any other color than bright silver.
If there's any ceramic caps, hold them with your fingers while soldering, because they can withstand no more heat than your fingers.

Quote:
Pls kindly adv what is the speaker zobel? how's the usage / install?
fyi, the woofers is in sit floor boxes, but i separate the midrange, hang at 1,7metres height and tweeters at 2,5 metres. the pssive crossover is also outside the speaker's box.
That's an RC network just outside of the highest pitches of the audio band. If you are using a kit, then it may (or may not) already be present.
Onto the amplifier's speaker output terminals can go 4 ohms + 0.1uF, or 4 ohms + 0.22uF.
Cap at the ground terminal, resistor at the hot terminal, like:
- cap resistor +

Quote:
Originally posted by wboyd
No problem at all....Electro Magnetic Interference Filter.....essentially it gets rid of the "noise" in the line.
Go here and check some examples out - http://www.filterconcepts.com/ac_filters.html But they can be had just about anywhere...I bought a box of them on GreEdBay for about 5 bucks.
I have no idea as to what type of power you have coming into your house.....but there are several options available.
What model do you use at your place? It would be so nice to buy something already "proven" to work.
Old 28th February 2008, 03:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i have open the amp and re-soldering some part, change the RCAs and cables with better, also change the stereo pot with new one since its humming when i touch.

Quote:
The 100k ohm should work fine. However, 22k is stronger for noise-kill. Since 56k is in-between, maybe try that for the first go?
when i striping the amp, just realized that the 22K ohm,and network said speaker zobel is already fit but in different way, or it is not the said network? pls check the drawing

so sorry to tell that i was buy a PCB than find some good parts without knowing what 'em stands for

I don't really know how they works, but happy to tell that the noise is already gone
however i found other noise : the refrigerator is humming louder when i turn on the system! aargh thats my mom's authority.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg is it zobel.jpg (9.6 KB, 963 views)
Old 28th February 2008, 03:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of img_3445.jpg (51.1 KB, 924 views)
Old 28th February 2008, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

the source box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of img_3381.jpg (41.3 KB, 977 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!