+ supply volts on my speakers,help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just made an amp using LM4766T.Made it exactly to the datasheet except I added 1u caps on inputs.Using a sig gen with only one output(1khz 200mv sine) I fed the signal to each input in turn.What happens is this.
1 Input on R,No output from R speaker,no dc,nothing.
2 The L speaker(with no input signal)goes up to full plus supply voltage with heavy ripple,same heavy ripple on plus supply,negative supply is ok.
3 If input signal is applied to L input,same problem occurs on R output.
4 One test sig applied to both inputs,no dc on speaker outputs and no tone output even when test sig. is increased.

The amp is only on for a couple of seconds at a time while I troubleshoot as I know this will fry speakers.LM4766 stays cool all the while.Supply is +/- 32VDC,6800u smoothing caps and transformer are from the dvd player I got the ic's from.
Help!

Attachments

• 100_1338.jpg
    100_1338.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 183
#1 You can't leave the mute pins unconnected.

#2 How did you actually build it? Did you make all connections to both A & B channels per the datasheet, or did you follow your hastily drawn sketch? For example, in your drawing, the only connection to the chip's B channel is the Vcc connection on pin 15. If you only connected Vcc and not Vee for the B channel, that would explain your problem.

I built both channels but drew only one for clarity.Pin 2 and 15 are + supplys for both channels but this ic only has one negative supply pin(pin 4) for both channels.
I will try the mute pin thing but I am sure when I checked the pcb the ic's came from the mute pins (6,11)were just shorted together.
Thanks for your advice guys.

when i built my previous one , I was stupid enough to have my +Vcc touch the speaker out pin.

I built it on vero board, and a pin pushed through the isolation of the +vcc wire.

check and double check for shorts everywhere. Especially when you are using veroboard or point to point.

I just checked the datasheet again and this time READ the application notes,not just the diagram.
The diagram shows the mute switch as normally open and I assumed this was un-muted.I was wrong as switch is closed for un-muted operation.Silly me.
Does the input to ground resistor go directly from + input pin to ground or from between input cap and input 1k resistor?
Is the absense of this resistor the reason for unused input making the corresponding output "go high"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.