Low pass filter for simple sub on single rail?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am busy to build an amp for two subwoofers for in my car. Build a simple 1 chip TDA4552Q amp for them. It sounds allready reasonably good, even on a simple 1A 12V supply. It costs only few bucks, and want to keep it simple.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want to add a active low pass filter on 80/100 Hz with a TL072 opamp. Is this simple to do with the single 14.4V car supply? All designs i see on www are with + and - rail supply's. Can i simply pick a low pass design and just hook it on 14V, and neg rail on gnd?

Thanks.

It is fully possible to use one or more op-amps with a single-ended supply to create a low pass filter.

To use an op-amp with a single-ended supply for audio, you will need to bias the input of the op-amp and use AC coupling capacitors on the input and output. DC coupling is not possible when the op-amps are used with a single-ended supply

Thanks for reply TheMG, will use a Sallen-Key 2nd order on 100Hz, and put a big passive 6H cored coil on the output to create a 18dB filter total. And use 0.22uF coupling caps. Does the input impedance of the chip amp influence the behaviour of the lpf? Btw i used a TDA1552Q. How do i bias the signal, put the signal line between two eg 47k resistors, them gnd and +12V rail?

Thanks again.

Most Active filters use an Inverting opamp and to bias an Inverting opamp to half supply you can use 2 say 33k resistors to create a Voltage divider between + supply and Grnd and then feed the half supply voltage into the Non-inverting input ,this will Bias the input of the Opamp to half supply....

And a output cap will also have to be used to Stop the half supply Dc offset at the output.....

Cheers

The input impedance of the chip amp will only affect the filter if you have any passive filtering elements between the output of the active filter (op amp) and the input of the chip amp.

This is one of the big advantages of an active filter is that load impedance does not affect the performance, so long as you don't load it down too much.

I am calculating the value's for a sallen-key 12 dB with formula's from the TI site. I want lpf 100Hz.

LOW PASS Unity Gain Butterworth
R3 = R4 (HIGH)
R1 = R2
C1 = 2C2
Fo = √2 / (4pR1C2)

Anyone know what is ment by "p" in the calculation ?

btw calculated it on a balanced ps opamp site also (90Hz)
I found for
R1 8.734 kohm
R2 16.275 kohm
C1 220N
C2 100N

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.