Another capacitor question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am working on a regulated gainclone project that;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the psu is;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amp will work with ~25.5v symmetrical. And will give ~37.5W into 6R which is fairly enough to me. Under that conditions, "overture design guide" says load will sink ~3.5A peak. I am planning to use Panasonic FM series (35v) as reservoir capacitors in both PSU and gainclone circuit. (1500 for PSU and 1000 for onboard)

And my question is;
As I read in Farnell catalogue, Panasonic FM series ripple capacities are;
1,500µF/35v --- 3630mA,
1,000µF/35v --- 3190mA..
Thats why I select these caps... However I am still not sure that they will enough or not for these positions...

Has anybody worked with this type capacitors before? Do you think they will enough?

Thx in advance...

High ripple current ratings come from low esr. That's because low esr means low heating, which is what destroys caps. Low esr is important for audio, since it means the cap can deliver its energy with a lower voltage drop. Ripple current ratings, however, aren't very important for audio, since you never have a continuous full power signal, and should have very little ripple on the cap. IMO, your caps are fine.

Hi Conrad,

is this really true, the speaker return path is through the capacitors. Whatever current flows through the speaker flows through the capacitors.

A simple example is when you disconnect the mains, the capcitors are sourcing the current to keep on playing until the energy is depleted.

The ac current through the speaker must be sourced and sunk from some low impedance source definately not the center tap of the transformer.

Kind regards

Nico

Dxvideo said:
The amp will work with ~25.5v symmetrical. And will give ~37.5W into 6R which is fairly enough to me. Under that conditions, "overture design guide" says load will sink ~3.5A peak
the prediction of 3.5Apk is into a resistive load. Into a reactive load (real speaker/crossover) the peak transient current can increase to well over double the 6r0 value. I use the formula Ipk=Vpk/R/0.35 and for your 6ohm speakers could approach 10Apk.
Can that sort of current be sourced from the parallel combination of 220uF and lt1083?

When current demand rises, how high does the ripple become on the main smoothing caps? Will the regulators drop out at the bottom of the ripple waveform?

Hi Nico, ripple current ratings are really thermal ratings and have to do with the capacitors ability to dissipate the heat potentially generated by current through the esr. That part of things just isn't significant in audio, as signals have a high crest factor. Esr and capacity certainly are important, for the reasons mentioned above. Thus, I tend to look at esr (actually I never really look at esr since it's highly frequency dependent, but look at dissipation factor instead), rather than ripple current ratings. DF is a much better indicator of cap quality, though not the only factor.

Nico Ras said:
Hi Ozgur,

I hope you are keeping well. Your choice and understanding of ripple current is correct. Connecting two similar caps in // would double the ripple current capabilities.

Kind regards

Nico

My dear friend....
How are you? I know I am guilty for "no writing". Please forgive me.. Thats a project for our club (as usual)....
I want to use that capacitors, because of theyre very very small (12,5mm; half of a 10,000!) And hear really good things about FM types..
Thanks for your comment. I will write you soon.

Re: Re: Another capacitor question...

AndrewT said:
the prediction of 3.5Apk is into a resistive load. Into a reactive load (real speaker/crossover) the peak transient current can increase to well over double the 6r0 value. I use the formula Ipk=Vpk/R/0.35 and for your 6ohm speakers could approach 10Apk.
Can that sort of current be sourced from the parallel combination of 220uF and lt1083?

When current demand rises, how high does the ripple become on the main smoothing caps? Will the regulators drop out at the bottom of the ripple waveform?

Dear Andrew,
I think youre right. But LT1083 can source up to 10A peaks while Vi - Vo < 10v, thats ok. However, do you say should I put a bigger cap on output? So whats onboard (1,000uF) cap is there for?

Thx...

Re: Re: Re: Another capacitor question...

Dxvideo said:
.... LT1083 can source up to 10A peaks while Vi - Vo < 10v, thats ok. However, do you say should I put a bigger cap on output? So whats onboard (1,000uF) cap is there for?
Hi Dx,
You have answered the question, the 1083//220uF can source 10Apk.
As you have correctly pointed out the amp is fed by 1083//220uF//1000uF and this will find it even easier to source that same 10Apk.

You will need to measure the ripple at the input to the regulator when mains is at minimum supply voltage and amp is delivering significant power. Then decide if the smoothing in combination with the transformer ensures that the regulators do not drop out in worst case "normal" working conditions.
A scope on the reg input works for this, similarly a scope on the reg output will detect if drop out is occurring.

Hi,
it should just be possible to get regulated 25.5Vdc from 24Vac with the usual tolerances.

But, that is with a minimum supply voltage of 216Vac.
With 200Vac and 1500uF drop out is virtually guaranteed.

24Vac fed from top tolerance mains supply and with 6% or 7% transformer regulation will exceed the 35V rated voltage of your smoothing caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.