LM3886 based amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
russo is offline russo  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default LM3886 based amplifier

Hello to all of you, as I said in my presentation I'm a newbie in matter of DIY amplifiers and I want to start building a lm3886 based amplifier and respective power supply, but after some searching in the forum I haven't find a lot about this chip amp.
So what I am asking to you is if someone could help me with some schematics to build the amplifier an the PSU and/or show me some post's with projects based in this chip.
Old 29th January 2008, 02:19 AM   #2
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: LM3886 based amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by russo
Hello to all of you, as I said in my presentation I'm a newbie in matter of DIY amplifiers and I want to start building a lm3886 based amplifier and respective power supply, but after some searching in the forum I haven't find a lot about this chip amp.
So what I am asking to you is if someone could help me with some schematics to build the amplifier an the PSU and/or show me some post's with projects based in this chip.
Welcome, russo!

There is probably at least a solid YEAR'S-worth of reading about the LM3886 on this site.

I used the 'Search' button to search for 'LM3886 schematic', searching only in the Chipamps forum, and found 229 threads:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending

Maybe first, you could look at the threads with the most replies. Those probably contain the more-'famous' of the schematics.

ALSO, make sure that you have downloaded both the LM3886 datasheet and Application Note AN-1192, from National Semiconductor's website, at http://www.national.com . Both contain schematics for, and necessary information about, LM3886-based power amplifiers.

Have fun!
Old 29th January 2008, 05:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ALL respect to Chipamp.com

http://www.chipamp.com/lm3886.shtml

download the "Assembly manual for the LM3886 kit"

It is a GREAT read and in my opinion a great schematic to start with.
Old 29th January 2008, 04:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

gootee, I have made a similar research, but all the projects I have seen are way to complicated to me and the post's in that projects have a lot of knowledge but it's to much for me because it is a level beyond me!
but thank for the fast response.

tangmonster, this look's like it is a "simple" build, I will read that manual and the datasheet of the LM2886 and then I will ask here my doubts.
Thank you.
Old 30th January 2008, 01:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well i have already some reading in the topics that both you showed me, and i'm thinking to make the CarlosFM LM3886 based amplifier and the respective PSU, and here are the schematics:

Click the image to open in full size.

And I have already a doubt, can I make all this circuits in a point to point board?
Should I use coper wire to connect the components under the board or just use "solder wires"
Old 30th January 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If By solder wires you mean solder , i think you will find that it is WAY too soft. Point to point is very possible.

You might want to go the lm3875 route since it has less used pins.

For the powersupply , start simple and add afterwards.

Vero boards I found makes things a lot easier for me.
And it is cheap and easy to use.
Old 30th January 2008, 01:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

About the LM3865 I had already read a lot about it but I cant get it in Portugal, and the samples from National Electronics would cost me mora than 40 in transportation!

What I meant with solder wires was to make things like this:

And one more thing, in CarlosFM amplifier the LM doesn't have any numbers, how can I figure what is what?
Old 30th January 2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

http://pt.rs-online.com/web/

tf version catalog no 471-5885
t version 534-2961
and also 534-2955

Download datasheet (also available from that site) to look up pin numbers.
Old 30th January 2008, 03:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have already read the LM3886 datasheet, but my problem is to know what pin is what in the CarlosFM schematic.
Old 30th January 2008, 04:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I second the Chipamp.com suggestion, that way you will get a working amp after your labours.

Build one of those and spend the rest of the time listening. Theres nothing more frustrating than putting time into something then it not working and you dont know why.

If you use a tried and tested pcb it eliminates many possible problems, and you can build the CarlosFM version once you have found the answers to your questions and see how the two compare.

I'm using the CarlosFM "Uno" preamp with a Chipamp.com Lm3875 and I think it sounds great.
JB

Hide this!Advertise here!