gainklone problems, maybe...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cowanrg said:
well, im listening to it now.

it doesnt have that NASTY noise in the background. however, i put in that 50K resistor like peter said, and there is a nice BUZZ in the speaker. and, its very quiet. i tried without, and its fine.

If you've got that 50k resistor connected in series with the ground between your source component and the GainKone as it seems to me you've described it below, then that will result in some buzzing.

If you're going to use that 50k resistor, it needs to be connected between the hot pin on the RCA and ground.

also, i am not using the 4.7uf cap on pin 8. the idiot at the electronics store forgot to put it into my bag :) maybe that has something to do do with it. i will say this thing has some POWER. im not 100% quality, but that's partly due to the power its getting probably... in the 5 minutes ive been listening to it, its gone from 26.4 volts, down to 25.33 and dropping as we speak.

That's typical. From a full charge, you'll get a bit of a drop in the first few minutes and then it'll level out before it starts dropping off again.

With a pair of 8 Ah batteries, you should get quite a lot of listening in before you need to recharge. To prevent deep cycling and reducing battery life, I wouldn't let 'em get much below about 10 volts (or 20 volts if you're measuring across both batteries).

oh yeah, is there any way to avoid that nice thump when i connect the positive and negative? will a switch stop that, or do i need a soft start circuit?

You'd need some sort of soft start circuit to get rid of it.

At the low voltages you're using, it's not going to be a problem other than perhaps an annoyance.

se

cowanrg said:
i measured my DC offset, and it was 0.004, i think that is pretty low.

That's pretty low alright. Lower than expected. With the typical 0.2 uA of input bias current for that chip, and a 220k feedback resistor, you'd expect something more like 0.04 volts than 0.004 volts.

so i have that resistor hooked up wrong then, good. that buzz was BAD. ill swap it around and fix it. i'll also get some caps to put in there as well.

Check the offset of your source component. If it's quite low or if it has a capacitor coupled output, then you don't really need that cap there in the first place. As they say, the best capacitor is no capacitor. :)

this thing is extremely efficient. i had it cranked, and it barely got the heatsink warm.

Yeah. Which is why you should be able to get quite a bit of time off those 8 Ah batteries.

se

Peter Daniel said:
About the buzz when resistor is in place from input to ground: I noticed that the amps is susceptible to oscillations at max volume when not shielded.

If his description of how he had that resistor wired in was the way I read it, he didn't actually have it going to ground from the input, but rather in series with with the amplifier ground and the source ground.

You know how you can get that horrible buzz when you just have the hot pin of the RCA hooked up and the ground's aren't connected? Same thing here only not quite as bad as if you had a truly open circuit.

se

When Dave(planet10) first showed them to me I was doubtful as well, but after using them for awhile in a prototype, I became convinced they work well. I have tested them against several different types of speakers, abeit nothing difficult, and the amp performed very well. They actually end up putting out 28VDC after rectification with the amp playing at a moderate level. I would say they are closer to 22VAC with the light load the chips put on them. When hooked to my father's AMTs and Klipsches they can really crank(of course, the Klipsches are very sensitive), but the amps never got very warm.

hum, yeah... ill probably not push this, being as its just a prototype.

ill go with both, and just test them out. i already put the order through with all electronics. and i need a few things from apex anyway.

you know, i can honestly say, these old aiwa speakers arent that bad. granted, they are probably being thrown more power than ever expected, but when REALLY driven, they start to sound reasonable! its incredible. nowhere near my other speakers, but i'm not about to reach back there and unhook them to try them out. too many damn wires.

i think if it was original with a single 170VA for 2 channels, i should be good with 120VA on each channel. thats almost what the power humpty is.

am i correct that the VA rating of the all electronics one is around 240VA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.