Tone control pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think tone control is a useful function for different source listening.I find some pieces lm1036 in my drawer.So I do a fast air wiring.
This is my first building of the year begining.Its working perfect with 4780nigc.

Zang

Attachments

• lm1036pre.jpg
    lm1036pre.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,414
refering the nsc's typical application,http://www.national.com/images/pf/LM1036/00514203.pdf

the modification attached.
i removed the balance and loudness function,because it is no sense for up-to-date recording.and imho lm1036 is not design for professional audio gear.it is only one available chip,but not nearly perfect.

i will do something better.

z

Attachments

• lm1036mod.gif
    lm1036mod.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,119
I've been using Rod Elliott's Project02 tone control with various op amps and am pleased with the performance. I have a LM1036 but haven't yet put it to use. If I remember the specs, it seemed a little noisy. What are you finding to be the limitations for this chip? What don't you like about it? Frank B, your comments made me dig up the datasheet, and max input voltage is shown as 1.6V typ with a Vcc of 12. I had planned to use mine with a LM1876 amp and thought it would be a decent match.

It will work well but the Vcc is limited to 12 volts.
You may need to attenuate the level of the sources going to the input a little so as to avoid exceeding the maximum 1.6 volt input.
The IC is not bad. It's designed to attenuate the internal IC noise as the volume control is turned down. A nice feature.
My main objection to this IC is the input voltage limit. It's limited for obvious reasons ...
to eliminate the clipping of the audio when the bass and treble controls are at full boost.
On my preamp, I've added 6dB attenuator pads on the input of the chip and Opamps on the output to boost the level by 20dB. The Opamps are powered by + and - 15 volts.
I'd give the chip a try. You can adjust the values of the capacitors to achieve the low frequency and high frequency EQ turnover points that suit your needs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.