big caps power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
salas said:
... the guys are right, they sound fresh with small designer PSU caps at least. With big ones they lose all character and sound bland. They don't meet several other criteria so they need their salt n' peppa so to speak.

The "freshness" you hear is due to weak bass, and probably some distortion, due to too small power supply caps. Sure it sounds different, and you may like it for a few minutes or hours, but it isn't "hi-fi". The "blandness" you complain about in an amp with bigger caps is the result of low distortion, wide bandwidth, and relatively flat frequency response.

salas said:
And avoid stars. I have made it once with a PSU star & a signal star, and once with a buss bar. The second one turned out noticeably more organic sounding. A buss takes experimentation to get it all quiet for each particular layout though.

You clearly don't understand the purpose of a star ground. It is there to eliminate hum and noise in the output of the amp due to voltage drops along shared ground wires/planes. Maybe you like hum and noise from your amp (maybe it reminds you of old tube-amp sound), that's fine, but a star-ground, properly implemented, is the most reliable way to achieve low hum and noise.

I_F

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I_Forgot said:

The "freshness" you hear is due to weak bass, and probably some distortion, due to too small power supply caps. Sure it sounds different, and you may like it for a few minutes or hours, but it isn't "hi-fi". The "blandness" you complain about in an amp with bigger caps is the result of low distortion, wide bandwidth, and relatively flat frequency response.
I_F

Make one and drive an 8 inch hemp MLTL pair. Experiment with a couple of power supply extremes. Compare a tube PP, a PSE, and a Tripath. Add a parallel triode input preamp stage. Ground them in stereo all together in the same chassis, power supplies included. Listen it go ZZZZZZZZZZ all over the place with typical stars. Solve it with copper foil shields and unorthodox grounding. Then compare again with premium parts. Maybe I mean something more with 'fresh' or 'bland' after all.

salas said:

Make one and drive an 8 inch hemp MLTL pair. Experiment with a couple of power supply extremes. Compare a tube PP, a PSE, and a Tripath. Add a parallel triode input preamp stage. Ground them in stereo all together in the same chassis, power supplies included. Listen it go ZZZZZZZZZZ all over the place with typical stars. Solve it with copper foil shields and unorthodox grounding. Then compare again with premium parts. Maybe I mean something more with 'fresh' or 'bland' after all.

If it makes more noise with a star-ground, you're not doing it correctly.

Shielding is generally a good idea, but that too, must be done correctly.

I_F

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I_Forgot said:

If it makes more noise with a star-ground, you're not doing it correctly.

Shielding is generally a good idea, but that too, must be done correctly.

I_F

A star is inherently more capacitive than a buss bar that comes from UHF practice. When a star forces practically longer returns in some layout, especially in mixed very high & very low impedance circuits in close proximity, it can prove more sensitive to stray fields. Best practice, is determined in practice, IMHO. Even further, a closed, matrix, buss bar hang mm over the circuit, can solve critical situations when the going gets tough. It can reduce the returns to almost nothing.

salas said:

A star is inherently more capacitive than a buss bar that comes from UHF practice. When a star forces practically longer returns in some layout, especially in mixed very high & very low impedance circuits in close proximity, it can prove more sensitive to stray fields. Best practice, is determined in practice, IMHO. Even further, a closed, matrix, buss bar hang mm over the circuit, can solve critical situations when the going gets tough. It can reduce the returns to almost nothing.

would a buss bar also make a good board mount if it's electrically isolated from the chassis?

-J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.