DAC to Chip Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've done this in two systems, and also used the lower output TDA1545 (always into LM3875 chips).

With high sensitivity loudspeakers (>94dB) this can be a great solution. If the available gain is sufficient, avoiding extra opamps can provide great transparency. Dynamics do suffer slightly, but this isn't usually an issue if high sensitivity speakers are used.

Obviously short, low capacitance interconnects are a must.

The best combination I have built so far is a modified Lite DAC-AH (passive I/V mod with 150R resistor) into a 10K stepped attenuator into the LM3875. There is definitely more balls with the paralleled dacs than with a single dac. The output impedance is lowered by a factor of 8 with 8 dacs, as the I/V resistor value has to be lowered.

I have tried buffers and active preamps but these always seen to add weight at the expense of resolution, detail and 'air'.

I say give it a go, as long as your speakers are fairly sensitive.

From what I have been reading, a lot of DACs have current outputs and then are turned back into voltage through a I/V converter. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to run this into a chip amp that is set for current feedback (current in/current out but larger current out i.e. current source amp) for use with some of the drivers from Nelson Pass's article on current source amps with fullrange drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.