Best sounding LM3886 design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No matter 3886 or 3887(?), there is actually no best in the world, every design have both some positives and negatives, even the best, maybe just best right now, always a new "best" pop up everyday you wake up!

Or, there is only the "best" for you, so just search and check, follow any circuit you think the feedbacks and reputations most fit your own cup of tea, then that's the best!

IMHO the TDA2050 is VERY hard to beat for performance and value for money. I can't even pick between the TDA2050 and the LM3886 even though the 2050 is a low powered amp ( 20 watts per channel). Follow the layout given in the application note . Use a good quality film capacitor for the input .

The LM3886 " that I built " sounds good too but I have a doubt about it's performance in the extreme HF end. Cymbals "might" be a bit clearer ( more airy !) on the 2050 ...... or is it ? I built an inverting T feedback circuit.
Maybe the slightly rising HF response in the 2050 causes that.
You will find that report somewhere on this forum.

Cheers.

Edit : Just realised you wanted an LM3886 design !
Both inverting and non inverting circuits sound good though "some" claim the inverting sounds a shade better. The non inverting would probably be simpler to build and have less problems driving it without a preamp stage . Often a preamp stage "could " improve the sound but that depends on several factors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.