mounting RCA and speaker terminals on chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These forums have been great for learning a lot about the topic of DIY audio, thanks everyone! This is my first post however, as I have not been able to find out about this simple question:

We are currently building a little chipamp from BrianGT. When mounting the RCA jacks and speaker terminals, do we have to make sure that they aren't actually touching the chassis somewhere? Or is it ok to have the signal ground touching the metal chassis? If they do have to be mounted without touching, what is the best way to do so? We are working with drilled aluminium panels here.

I know this may seem like quite a simple question, but I am quite new to this and I actually haven't been able to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all of your help, I'm happy to say no hums here.

In the end, the connectors I purchased didn't have any insulating washers; however I bought a multi-pack of plastic washers on ebay, and fit them to the back panel.

The threads on the connectors wouldn't fit (as the panel was 3mm Alu) but since it was so soft I just routed some washer sized holes through 1-2 mm and now it all fits together nicely.

Hi,
the two washers need at least one with a step to prevent the RCA coming into contact with the chassis.
The washers need to suit the physical dimensions of the RCA socket thread and length. The hole in the chassis needs to match the washer step and not the thread diameter.
You might be able to use plain washers and an insulating sleeve, but this would be a once only fiddle that may perform just as well.

I got my washers via ebay - here in the UK I did a search and wound up getting:

Nylon Washers. M5 M6 M8... 50 Mixed Pack.

I think you'll find it's always nice to have a few nylon washers of different sizes, especially if you are doing more work with the chassis,as they can really come in handy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.