black gate capacitors! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2007, 04:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up black gate capacitors!

Well,here I am again.I know,I know...
some of you gays told me: Do not start "tweaking it".but I heard so much about these "black gate capacitor" so I just "upgraded" my Gainclone LM3875.I got 4 1000mf 50v fk Black gate capacitors.and also I changed the regular twisted wires,the ones that are from the input(RCA) to the Volume control with "shielded"wires.the result was a sound so clean,that even my wife noticed the difference.I spent $110 for these capacitors,but let me tell you,these is well spent money.NO DOUBT!.I strongly recommend to everyone who are building Gain clone to use these Black gates capacitors.you will be amassed with the sound for sure!.I hear some people say after 50 hrs or so they will change the sound for even better.wow if like this is perfect to me,Imagen after 50 hrs.again guys if you can spend the extra $110, to buy these Black gate capacitors,just do it!.
if before I was happy with it sound ,Imagen now.
take care guys.
Old 10th November 2007, 06:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wait for 200..250 hours.

Then you're in for a shock

I went from Pana FC 1000uf to BG Standaard 470uf. Also changed the Ci to a BG Hi.Q.Nx.

Let in run continuously for 2 weeks. Every time a came home from work or woke up after a night sleep it sounded different. Great!!
Old 10th November 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Gainclones deserve the best!

Well,I had the Panasonic FC 1500mf too!but as you said and many people too.the sound will improve after some hrs(200 hrs or so).after I put these BG caps,I immediately heard the difference"what a difference oh boy.".now it is for sure that,Gainclones need the best parts no doubt! .since they use a few parts only,they should be the best,and the wires put them twisted and as close to the "metal chassis" as possible.I have done my homework here(I have read a lot).
Well .what else can I tell you than right now I am listen to some music and I am thrilled with the sound.I honest can not believe it can be any better than this... I just love it!
take care.
Old 12th November 2007, 09:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Black Gate is good but really too expensive which not easy to afford, I use Nichicon KZ, KZ claim to be the best replacement of Black Gate for real best buy reason, and I do get exciting result, plus KZ really far much cheaper then Black Gate.
Old 12th November 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldkenn
Black Gate is good but really too expensive which not easy to afford, I use Nichicon KZ, KZ claim to be the best replacement of Black Gate for real best buy reason, and I do get exciting result, plus KZ really far much cheaper then Black Gate.

The Nichicon KZ are fine caps. But there are newer caps out there. The most common are Panasonic FM. The harder to locate are the Z series of Rubycon.
Both of these are smaller and have lower ESR compared to the KZ. Since BG stopped production, there are reasons besides cost for not using the pricey BG.
This is for decoupling applications. For signal coupling applications, the N series BG caps are still top of the heap in MHO.

George
Old 12th November 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Apart Farnel, referenceaudiomod has RubyconZL:
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...gory_Code=RUBY

$3USD for a 1000uF/50VDC cap.

You may want to check out this other approach instead:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39306

I will.

Cheers,
M