How hard can it be? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2007, 12:49 PM   #11
seth556 is offline seth556  United States
diyAudio Member

So I should look for one with a rating of 18 - 24vac and at least 2 amps, correct? Anything else I should look for?
Old 9th November 2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you wanted to go on the super cheap just pick up a Piece of FR4 PCB material and a sheet of Press N Peel and etch your own PCB"s for the Amp Boards and PSU ,It really isn"t very hard to make yer own PCB"s, Then you just have to worry about a Transformer and Parts.....

Minus the Power Transformer i can make a Stereo Chip amp for under $20 and I can usually salvage an old Transformer from an old Amp or reciever but I also have a Fairly good supply of Parts allready.....
Old 9th November 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I strongly recommend against home pcb fabrication - waste of time, poor results and waste chemical disposal issues

for GainClone/chipamp "air wired" point-to-point is very practical and can be neatly done too:

http://dogbreath.de/Chipamps/ThreeRe...reeResAmp.html
Old 9th November 2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I have to disagree... P2P is best left for the experienced builder...

Sure my first GC was P2P... but that is also why it didn't last very long... (sure there are exceptions).

Learn to do your own boards, for under $5 you can do an A4 size sheet of PCB at home.... includeing the PCB.

For batches and maybe for very fine traced circuits I guess there is no alternative to fabrication, I have had over 150 boards manufactured this month.... (yes guys it is a bad habbit.. look at my joining date to see how long you have a normal life after starting with thees evil amps...then it takes over)

please try the press and peel, I only started useing it lately, and it is childsplay to work with. I started useing black markers, eventualy used photoprocessing and now am addicted to P'nP.
Old 9th November 2007, 05:14 PM   #15
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

some soldering practice may be in order before jumping in but I'd guess more, harder to fix mistakes are made with homemade pcb - soldering to pcb pad without plating/thru holes is painful by itself

bare perfboard is my 2nd choice, holds the leads in place, similarly detailed GainClone web site construction articles can be found using veroboard and mostly just bending over/soldering together component leads, I have built on gnd plane perf board - using a hand held drill bit to chamfer the gnd plane away from the holes receiving component leads - I save my clearance hole gnd plane with plated thru hole perf board for special projects

someones professionally fabed, tested out pcb for $5-10 would be a 3rd choice

setting up for home etching is a distraction from building circuits - adds needless steps, frustration and leaves a toxic/corrosive mess to deal with

I think there needs to be more awareness of other prototyping options - lowering the barrier to entry - PCBs aren't necessary for every project - and making your own PCB should'nt be in the critical path for your 1st project
Old 9th November 2007, 05:24 PM   #16
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with Nordic....my first chip amp was a P2P job and it worked well and looked pretty cool too...but after learning to make my own PCBs....I found building the amps much more enjoyable and less painstaking.

If you Google you will find many resources out there to help you...including the PCB making process and some patterns for boards. There are a ton of easy to make, single layer chip amp boards...soon you will be cranking them out so fast that you will be giving them to your friends!

Whichever way you decide to go....P2P or PCB....just enjoy it!

Wayne
Old 9th November 2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have actually never Soldered a PCB that was not made by me and have never soldered a Plated Through Hole in my life and i have never had a problem, I guess I"m not missing much.....

home made PCB"s are easy and quick and Pretty much trouble free as far as I am concerned ,and best of all it is Super cheap especially if you are designing and etching a few boards a week which can be super cost prohibitive if doing pre fab boards....
Old 9th November 2007, 07:11 PM   #18
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
If you are building a simple circuit for the first time, I would suggest getting perhaps a prototyping board.

Then get the components, if possible. That part is often more difficult than building a circuit in some cases!

But really, it helps you to learn if you assemble the circuit yourself. The LM3886 designs from National Semiconductor are fairly easy (data sheet example designs).

Be prepared to have to figure out the problem when there's no sound!

Just some ideas.
Old 9th November 2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anybody starting from scratch should find this and this of some use!
Old 9th November 2007, 07:53 PM   #20
seth556 is offline seth556  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm going to hold off on building my own pcb for right now because it looks to involve getting some stuff I don't have. So I'll build a p2p board to start with.

My next question is instead of building a psu can I just buy a 24vdc 10amp (or however many amps) psu and use that?

Hide this!Advertise here!