Digital pot used in audio preamp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2007, 01:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ybserge
Since it requires MORE THAN push button control DS166 doesn't seem to be a simlier solution. Think hard before U dare get on it
OK, if DS1666 scares you that much, how about a DS1669. It has a linear resistance, but maybe it can be "law faked"? This would have greater headroom than DS1802 as it can use +/-4v supplies.

Or how about MAX5440? This would almost be a perfect "micro-controller-less" volume control, but it only has 32 steps and is limited to +/-2.7v supplies.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Maybe I will try them all.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th November 2007, 05:07 PM   #13
ybserge is offline ybserge  Belarus
diyAudio Member

Dear the Anonymous1,

I'm not scared
This time U really got to the point!
Whether DS1669 or X9511 or H9510 or... don't remember them all... are very good and easy-to-make solutions. Just buffer them with nice OpAmps and make a proper supply.
MAX5440 is perhaps a nice one but it is a bit tiny.
Please, also keep in mind if your certain digipot has nonvalatile wipper setting. This can be a matter.
Old 8th November 2007, 05:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

If you are serious about digital pots for audio then you need to consider:

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...ets/AD7376.pdf

or

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...ets/AD5290.pdf

The AD7376 looks to be the better of the two. I have been toying with the idea of using the AD7376 to do digitally controlled analog filters. You avoid a lot of heartache by staying away from any and all pots that work on less than plus/minus 15 volts.

Best Regards,
Carl Huff
Old 8th November 2007, 05:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think my first experiment will be with the DS1669S-10.

I will use input and output buffer op-amps and will "law fake" it with a 3k resistor between Rw and Rl.

Quote:
Originally posted by ybserge
Please, also keep in mind if your certain digipot has nonvalatile wipper setting. This can be a matter.
Whats wrong with non-volatile wiper settings? I would figure this is a good feature as it stores the last wiper setting. Even with around 30 EEPROM writes a day it will last ~5 years.
Old 8th November 2007, 05:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl_Huff
If you are serious about digital pots for audio then you need to consider:

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...ets/AD7376.pdf

or

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...ets/AD5290.pdf

The AD7376 looks to be the better of the two. I have been toying with the idea of using the AD7376 to do digitally controlled analog filters. You avoid a lot of heartache by staying away from any and all pots that work on less than plus/minus 15 volts.

Best Regards,
Carl Huff
You're probably right, but I guess the point of this thread is to figure out what the best "push-button" digital pot is, even if it is inferior to better logic controlled parts.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1 BTW, why aren't there any simple projects out there for the PGA2320? They all seem to be a bit too complicated with things like input selectors, displays, balance, etc. I would like to see a bare minimum project for just volume up/down and maybe mute. [/B]
Good question. I imagine it's because if you've already got a microcontroller in your project, you may as well integrate it all. The PGA2310 really isn't that difficult to control. For example the ATtiny13 for $1.36 has a built-in SPI interface. Still not totally trivial to set it up properly, but it should not be difficult.

If you need code, I would be willing to protoboard a setup and write some simple code to read pushbuttons or a rotary encoder and control the PGA.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:37 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by error401

Good question. I imagine it's because if you've already got a microcontroller in your project, you may as well integrate it all. The PGA2310 really isn't that difficult to control. For example the ATtiny13 for $1.36 has a built-in SPI interface. Still not totally trivial to set it up properly, but it should not be difficult.

If you need code, I would be willing to protoboard a setup and write some simple code to read pushbuttons or a rotary encoder and control the PGA.
YGM

Old 10th November 2007, 05:48 PM   #19
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia-Aboriginal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
BTW, why aren't there any simple projects out there for the PGA2320? They all seem to be a bit too complicated with things like input selectors, displays, balance, etc. I would like to see a bare minimum project for just volume up/down and maybe mute.
This would be very easy to do. You could simply take, for example, my or Mark Hennessy's preamp, and leave off the bits that you don't need.
Old 10th November 2007, 06:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by suzyj

This would be very easy to do. You could simply take, for example, my or Mark Hennessy's preamp, and leave off the bits that you don't need.
Yers, error401 is being kind enough to help me with such a "simple" design.

Even though I have plans for the PGA now, I would still like to try the setup I mentioned above with the DS1669.

Hide this!Advertise here!