Using a lm4780 instead of 2x lm3886?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
the two channel version is probably made to reduce assembly costs on a production line.
I think the 3886 with separate power and ground lines for each channel will perform better since the currents are halved and the crosstalk will be reduced if laid out correctly.
Two competely separate monoblocks will perform better than a stereo amplifier and each can be located right beside the speaker terminals bringing the very big advantage of extremely short speaker cables.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It may be due to implementation and power supply differences, but my simple stereo LM3886 has much better sound quality than my LM4780 BPA. They are as different as chalk and cheese in their layout and the power supplies have no resemblance to each other, though.

Another advantage of 3886 is heat dissipation and the availability of an insulated package (both sort of work against each other, though). that makes for larger allowable package dissipation or easier construction.

the only advantage i see to the 4780 is cost efficiant, more simple in production runs, cheaper.

and the thing that i like most: building compact stereo amplifiers.

i built a full power stereo amplifier that used this IC, and it fits in the palm of my hand. :)

and used a couple of small higher current boost converters. one thats a boost inverter. that way i eliminated the size of complexity of a flyback supply. :)

When it comes to chip amps, the amp part usually takes much less space than the PSU and the connectors, so I really don't think one using LM4870 will be any more compact than one using two LM3886's!

In addition (and you don't say how you are going to build this amp) the pins on the LM4870 are closer together than those on the LM3886. If you are hard-wiring the amp, the LM3866 will be a lot easier! If not you will need a PCB.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a better chip amp along the same lines of the lm4780

Well, you don't tell us which amp you are going to build, so I don't think we can suggest a "better" one! ;)

Originally posted by Nuuk

In addition (and you don't say how you are going to build this amp) the pins on the LM4870 are closer together than those on the LM3886. If you are hard-wiring the amp, the LM3866 will be a lot easier! If not you will need a PCB.

Well, you don't tell us which amp you are going to build, so I don't think we can suggest a "better" one! ;)

I am planning on building a 50 Watt stereo amplifier. Also, i will be using a PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.