Finishing up chipamp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anatech said:
Hi Dougie085,
Three wire mic cord is perfect. You know, for XLR connectors. Use one wire for ground, the other is hot and the shield is just a drain, grounded at one end only. If your grounding system is different, then do not use the second conductor as a ground.

Teflon anything is a pain to work with.

-Chris

Its actually not that bad, if you know how to use it and have Sharp Cutters.

Teflon wire is really good in the Class A amplifier because it won't melt.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Magura,
It is not nice to work with (I belive I had the "pleasure" of working with this exact type at BAF07), and when I say not nice I really mean it, nasty stuff!
That's for sure. Once it's in, it will survive almost anything though!

Go buy a pair of el-cheapo earphones, salvage the wire and chuck out the rest.
Watch the wire in those be that cotton / tinsel stuff that is impossible to solder to. Not shielded either.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Magura?,
:D
I have seen those headphones made both ways. I don't count on anything any more. The ones that were made from shielded wire had such a loose <oxidized> copper wrap that it was next to useless as a shield. We are talking about 50% coverage or less.

At least the balanced mic cable is a sure thing, and not really expensive either.

-Chris

Well I used some decent quality RCA cables I had and cut them up (it's what I had extra) The shielding on it is this plastic covered stuff it seems. Anyways I used it and when nothing is connected they are silent. Soon as I connect something though they get noisy. So seems like the RCA cable it self is picking up a lot. So I switched to a thicker shielded RCA cable and seems to help A LOT. Still a tiny bit of static though. But so much better.

I think I'm going to build a nice shielded interconnect. I have this hooked up to my computer at the momment. Planning on getting a USB dac to go with it and probably build a shielded interconnect to use with it. Should eliminate a lot of the sound as I'm pretty sure a bit is coming from the cheap computer sound card.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.