Blown chip??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys

i have this 4 channel car amp - it has 2 KIA6210AH chips in it. one day all 4 channels were working, and the next day one chip (2 channels) stopped working.

there is a DC offset of 0.5volts on the outputs of the "broken" chip and one of the 2 channels buzzes like mad when a speaker is connected to it. on the other chip the dc offset is about 0.01volts

i have checked the voltages on all the pins - the only differences between the working one and the non-working one are the output pins.

i was wondering if these chip amps can "blow" for seemingly no reason - because there are supposed to be a whole lot of protection circuits on it, and i was running it off a 10v 1A transformer, which is much lower than its maximum ratings.

the transformer could not deliver the current to drive the amp very loud, but i was just testing it at a low volume with small speakers. the chips get quite warm without the heatsink - its a small car amp so it has a massive heatsink\cover. nothing else gets hot

h3ad said:
well to my understanding if u run an amplifier on low voltage it is going to draw more current correct?

No.

As the impedance of the load decreases (8 ohms to 4 ohms say), you need less voltage but more current to achieve the same amount of power.

e.g... I think this is right, at least for simple DC figures

10W in to 8 ohms is 8.9V and 1.1A
10W in to 4 ohms is 6.3V and 1.5A

By running the amplifier at a lower voltage supply this won't change as far as I am aware.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.