Notorious question - to build or not? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Baka is offline Baka  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

Default Notorious question - to build or not?

I am listening music (not too loud) in a very small room (2,66m width x 3,60m length), almost near field (1,5m)

The basice question is whether is it feasible to get a good performance if I build LM3886 Gainclone for 8 Ohm/~85dB/serial crossover speakers http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...la/nebula.html (mine look way better...).

I have already red a lot about Gainclone projects but would like to confirm some issues once again.

1. Transformer: 2x25V secondaries/300VA or 2x24V secondaries/225VA (small price difference). Since I need more power than usual is that voltage sufficient for unregulated power supply? Do I need soft start for 300VA transformer?

2. I have already Noble 10k pot. Can I use it for minimalist unregulated approach only pot at the input of the chip?

3. Do I connect chassis to mains ground independently of the power supply and signal ground?

Later I would play with various options (snubbers, regulated, inverting/noninverting, with buffer or with preamp...)

I would be very grateful for any comment.

Regards to all.

Baki
Old 30th October 2007, 03:08 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The LM3886 chip is very good for low output powers. I've no complaints with mine

1: I would go with the 2x25V 300VA transformer if the price difference is only small.

2: Yes, should work OK... these days the low impedance shouldn't be a problem.

3: The best way to connect power ground to chassis/mains ground is via a loop breaker. Read http://sound.westhost.com/earthing.htm for more info. I would consider using the 35A rectifier as overkill.. a pair of diodes would do, as shown in http://sound.westhost.com/project04.htm - UF5404 or so would do.
Old 31st October 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaycee
The LM3886 chip is very good for low output powers. I've no complaints with mine
What is the sensitivity of your speakers?

Are 8 Ohm/~85dB/with serial crossover speakers tough load to achieve a moderate/reasonable loudness but with good control? What is your experience?

Quote:
1: I would go with the 2x25V 300VA transformer if the price difference is only small.
Should I need a soft start circuit in this case?

Thanks jaycee
Old 31st October 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
300VA toroid will start without blowing the 20A distribution board circuit breaker.
You may find that the usual rule of fuse current capacity = 3*VA/Vac will give reliable starting without blowing the fuse too often. But that is a big fuse (T4A).
If you want to go down the road of close fuse rating then soft start is essential even for a little toroid.
About 50r to 75r in series with the primary winding will probably allow a T2A to be used and maybe even smaller (T1.6A). Arrange a relay bypass that activates about 300mS to 500mS after switch on.
Old 31st October 2007, 11:46 AM   #5
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
50W into 85db/W speakers will go quite loud in a small room, with mid field listening position.

Allowing 20db average to peak means using about half a watt.
This will give about 83db from the speaker @ 1m. The 1.5m listening volume will be about 79db average level and giving peak potential of 99db.
That would sound pretty loud for most listening. I suspect you could end up using 100mW most of the time.
Old 31st October 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Andrew.

Well, let the games begin!
Old 1st November 2007, 03:31 PM   #7
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baka
What is the sensitivity of your speakers?

Are 8 Ohm/~85dB/with serial crossover speakers tough load to achieve a moderate/reasonable loudness but with good control? What is your experience?
My speakers are Eltax Liberty 5+, which are 87dB sensitivity. With a 160VA transformer powering 2 channels, using 4x4700uF capacitance total (9400uF per rail) I can go pretty damn loud without running out of steam

My circuit is not strictly Gainclone... but it is using LM3886. My circuit has small decoupling caps (470uF+100nf) on the PCB near to the LM3886, and then a conventional capacitor bank supplying both channels.

A picture can be seen here. The transformer has since been replaced with a 160VA toroid.

Quote:
Originally posted by Baka
Should I need a soft start circuit in this case?
For 300VA it would be wise to do that. There's a few circuits around. If you're not comfortable with doing that (it is after all circuitry that has to switch high voltage) then 160-200VA should be OK with a regular time-delay fuse.
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Many thanks, jaycee.

Will start ordering.

Hide this!Advertise here!