Confused & New AMP needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Dxvideo is offline Dxvideo  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dxvideo
Exclamation Confused & New AMP needed

Hi all,

You may say "you write a lot and do nothing!"
Right. But finally I decided to make a fully tested and satisfed project. Its a clone of Pedja Rogics buffered gainclone but with a regulated power supply. So this will not be exactly "MY PROJECT".
Anyway,

This is the circuit;
Click the image to open in full size.

And the PSU;
Click the image to open in full size.

Do you have anything to add to these? Mean, If I apply this PSU and amp, will I have a complete "audiophile gainclone" or need any mod to have this?

Thx.
Old 26th October 2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

that 33nf cap isn't absolutely required... provide space for it, but do listening test with and without it...
Old 26th October 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dear Nordic,

I'll give a space and test without it first. Thats ok.
But I have some questions to you. Because you have experience with it.

1- Should I add a LPF to prevent HF oscillation and RF receive? Pedja advices a 33pF (or similar) on NFB line and 470pF to GND from inverted input.. Do you confirm that?

2- Does 1K in the input filter (33nF+1K+47nF) make any affects on sound quality? Because Decibel Dungeon (I dont know who he is) made a clone of that and used 75R+47nF only. Do you think lower value resistor sounds better?

3- I cannot see any input load before JFET on input but the pot... Do you think it causes any problem?

4- And last question; does C1 (1u) ciritical on the sound? I cannot solve the circuit exactly. And I dont know the role of IRF510 also. So is there any signal on C1, mean should I use an electrolythic one or a MKP one?

Thx..
Old 26th October 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ozgur, there is an awful lot of agonising going on here!

You can place a 100K from input to ground.

Don't worry so much about that filter. Just build an listen - it is the only way to know how this sounds in your system. Then you can tweak to get the best sound for you!

To be honest, I haven't felt the need to tweak that filter since I built the circuit. The guy at Decibel Dungeon (whoever he is) seems to be very satisfied with the circuit despite the different filter. But he does use discrete regulators with his buffer!
Old 26th October 2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I agree with Nuuk, you are overthinking it. Just build it. You will be blown away. You realy don't need a 10mfd cap between the stages. 4u7 is more than enough. Will be cheaper and smaller.

Use a film cap for the 1uf one.
Old 27th October 2007, 07:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

?????
Discrete regulator idea sounds some complex to me... Do you think that gets any benefit? Because LM317/337 is very good regulator with low noise. Anyway I must make a design for that. May be I can test that option.

I use 10u between stages because I have a lot of 10u 63v MKT type Philips caps. Theyre big but works good.

Thx..
Old 27th October 2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Discrete regulator idea sounds some complex to me... Do you think that gets any benefit? Because LM317/337 is very good regulator with low noise. Anyway I must make a design for that. May be I can test that option.
Well discrete doesn't have to be too complex! But remember, build 'basic' first, listen, and then tweak so you have some reference to compare the modified circuit to!

My guru once told us the following:

Quote:
A woman always does the washing up four times! Once in the kitchen sink, and three times in her head.

Hide this!Advertise here!