(NOISE) Gainclone with bridged LM4780

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone !

I build gainclone with audiosector parts.

I buy big toroid transformer Avel Lindberg.

I build all my amp with twisted cable "normally" for reduce the noise.

The box is in aluminium

etc...etc...

When I start the gainclone I have background noise (60 hz).

Do you have TIPS to kill this noise ?
ex: nF capacitor in parallel with the 1500uF or other TIPS ?

I know many people have this trouble with her first gainclone.

P.s. it's not only when the preamp source is pluged on my amp.
it's ALWAYS ! :mad:

Thanks for your HeLp !

Nick

Hello all,

I am like Nick. i have different details though. I hope we don't become confused with the type of gainclone.

I have recently constructed a gainclone (the BrianGT). I can say that the GC design was interesting for me because I had always wanted to construct a OTL amp and the designs are very similar - coincidence? Also I had never built a solid state component before or haven’t built anything for many years.

I can say that the audio characteristics are very impressive and I will experiment some more.

For now I only have some bookshelves and a pair of full-range in bass-reflex. I prefer the sound of the full range but have one concern, there is some high back noise with the full range - I believe because it is a very sensitive driver because there is less for the bookshelf. I have no audible hum (from the PS) therefore I would like to know if somebody has correctly filtered this noise or if this is possible. I have already viewed many subjects in this forum but cannot manage to conclude with this exact objective.

I have decided not to use a potentiometer but have not yet placed any input resistor. I am using a simple passive preamp with attenuator (10K) and have also tried the sound card of the PC and the noise always remains.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

M

ps. The photos I have are too large to be posted (only 800KB)
:scratch: If you provide the email, or another method, I can then send

I had some pretty bad hum from my last amp build. turns out I had about 4 things all working against me. Not sure if anything I did will help you, but I'll post my experience.

My first hum came from my chosen source, my computer. easily fixed by switching out the source. I knew it was the source because it got louder when I turned the potentiometer up.

My second hum issue was with improper grounding and isolation of my switches. they were grounding to my aluminum case.

My third hum came from my potentiometer as a part of the ground loop hum, again grounding to the case

My fourth hum was my headphone out, yes, once again, grounded to the case.

Basically, i had 5 ground points strewn around the case. I removed the entire amp assembly from the case and there wasnt a bit of audible hum. Admittedly, this is with a tube amp, but the principles are the same. when i do finally put it all back together I'm going to isolate everything that caused ground issues from the case with teflon, or build an entirely new face plate. Anything to keep the case from turning into a ground loop nightmare.

-Jared

gainclone

thanks for your ground loop answer :)

BUT

I'm disapointed to have many many ground trouble with this VERY BASIC AMPLIFIER.

When you take a look to the (3500$US) GAINCARD UGLY circuit and power supply with EL transformer.

I don't understand why when you take better parts you have trouble.

EL transfo (gaincard) VS toroidal (gainclone)

cheap parts VS best parts. etc.....etc.....

ByE !!!

NickThevoice

Gainclone RULEZ !!! :) hiihihi huummmmm i'm not sure ;)

Nice cases!! Just like mine, only smaller!! :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92673

Looking at the photos it looks liek your Chassis Ground is connected to your power ground in the photo of your amp board (The top one), i.e. the green and yellow cable and the brown cable are the wrong way round. Whilst I appreciate that they go to the same place on the board, it is worth giving the whole thing another check over to make sure all the components are in the right place and wires go to the right place.

Hope you find this useful.

Grounding

Thank you for posting the photos.

The boxes are reused but they are made here by an italian company.

The grounds I think are ok (green to yellow - the terminal is slightly twisted). It is difficult to see in the photo. I may not have grounded to the chassis but the power ground is connected.

The noise isn't necessarily ground noise... it is background white noise.

I would like to know if there are other ways of filtering.

Thanks again and kind regards,
MV

Still noise

Hello ianpengelly,

I have re checked the grounds. All ok, it only seems incorrect but everything is wired to the correct connection(s).

Can I possibly connect a resistor to ground? Any filtering techniques to consider for the inputs? Again I am using no pot.

I have not, although, connected ground to case, only to the power. May this be a problem? I have looked at the same implementations and they have no problem.

Thanks again and kind greetings,
MV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.