Skinning capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Back to the "Naked - Skinned" Caps - the only time I see it is when someone tries to pass the cap off as a special, rare, or boutique capacitor.

I believe the original Gaincard had a naked "Mystery" Electrolytic Input cap that no-one was ever able to identify.

BTW - nice work on the clear cases - got one going myself....

I think it was AndrewT who correctly pointed out in another thread that if there are any exposed parts that are conductive, ie speaker terminals, controls, then they should be connected to mains earth. But that would be done in the usual way, the only difference being that there would be no need to connected the case when you use acrylic. In other words, you would crate a main earthing point that wouldn't necessarily be connected to the case.

I do have some concerns about unshielded cases. If I got any problems with an acrylic case like the ones shown in this thread, I would think about making some copper shields to go over the circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.