What means by decouple - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Paswa is offline Paswa  India
diyAudio Member

Default What means by decouple

In datasheet of TDA2050, they said to properly decoupl INPUT1 and INPUT2 from ground.

CAN You explain "DECOUPLE" and how to do this.....I'm a newbie..,he!he!
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

In this case, don't mix power ground with signal ground. Don't let currents in the ground coming from the speaker mix with the input ground. Take a look at the pcb layout in the datasheet. Do you see how the ground from the input meets the power ground?
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Reading the thompson data sheet and having a look at thier layout, i would agree with Peranders, that it is actualy star grounding and not realy decoupling in the real sense, that Thompson are on about, it is a confusing use of terminology IMO.
Decoupling is when capacitors are used to electricaly isolate a pin from a ground (or two grounds from each other, not so much used these days) for generaly two reasons, one to provide a low impedance path for any noise at the pin, and in the case of supply pins to provide the instantaneous current required during fast switching (or large bass transients) for the small amout of time it takes the PSU to deliver the power itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!