8ohm or 4ohm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just want to let you know that I do not know very much about speakers and amplifiers. I got a Harman Kardon PM640Vxi, 4x45Watt + 1 pair of JVC SP-74BK loudspeakers rated 225Watt at 8ohm + 1 pair of speakers Infinity Reference 50 rated 150Watt at 6ohm. The HK is high voltage/high current integrated amp and has 4ohm and 8ohm capability as well. The idea is that I have a 4ohm/8ohm capable amp and 2 pairs of speakers: one is 8ohm and other 6ohm. My question is what output impedance to choose for amp? Is sound quality better for 4ohm or 8ohm? (The thing I noticed is that when amp is on 8 ohm the light for high voltage and the light for high current are both on. When the amp is on 4 ohm mode, the light for high voltage is off and the light for high current is on. Is sound quality better in 8ohm or 4ohm?).

Thank you in advance!

Adrian

The switch on the back of the amp that selects 4 or 8 ohm loads changes the rail voltages for the amp section. 4 ohm loads are harder on an amp so you have to use a lower power supply voltage to keep the output devices within their safe operating area.

Use the 4 ohm selection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.