Hacking the Logitech Z5500

Hi there,

My z5500 bought a long time ago started making this noise a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZXLAwgSFk

This sound is louder from one speaker but it's coming out the very same sound synced between all the speakers even when no input source is connected.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

I googled for hours before landing into this thread. I know it's not the best place to post but I didn't find any other active thread about the logitech z5500. Hope you'll forgive me.

Have a nice weekend you all
Thanks in advance
Andrea

Had this issue, was fixed by replacing the control pod, think there is some damage in the cable that causing the crackling

First I'd just like to say I'm blown away by the amount of content on hacking this speaker system.

I've had a z 5500 since 12/19/2005 and I've used the hell out of it and it's never failed me... until recently.

The past few weeks I've noticed my left front channel is extremely quiet. It's not the speaker itself because it it does this with other speakers plugged in and it's not the speaker wire because will also do it with different speaker wire plugged in. It is quiet regardless of what input I'm using (currently plugged into my TV using optical and has the same issue using stereo input channel aux-in from an mp3 player).

Any ideas?

EDIT: System has spring clips is that makes a difference.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? Racking my brain and issue still has not gone away despite replacing wires and speakers.

Hi, after struggling to get my old z5500 pod working I managed to pick up another set from a guy at work selling his. I notice however that this is PID R028 and the pod no longer has a standby button (replaced by a headphone button). So this means that the current hidden menu key combination doest work. Does anyone know if the more recent versions of the Z5500 have a hidden menu?

Hello everybody! I'm in need of some help if any of you is kind enough to aid me.

I want to add a small fan to the back of the control pod of my Z5500, but i want to power it directly from the pod itself. I'd also want the fan to turn on and off when i turn the pod on and off. In other words, i need a 5V and Gnd point on the pcb of the control pod that gets powered only when the pod is turned on, and not in standby.

Does anybody here can supply me with a photo of the PCB indicating such a point where i can solder my fan wires?

Hi, few questions:
* My POD LCD contrast on Z-5500 went into the abyss and never returned - I guess that's control pod issue?
* with the post of the user *shb* - is it possible to use the subwoofer DIRECTLY without powering it on with a dedicated AVR? The sound of this amp is really great and want to keep it. As I plan on buying a DENON AVR-X3300W. But don't want to invest into new set of speakers considering this unit had really great sound - will this solution work?

Hey guys, i recently bought z5500 sub (with push connectors, early version) with no speakers and con unit. I tried to enable amps for testing but i couldn't quite do it, i followed one schematic soldering 6-7-8-13 pins but nothing happens, no hum, no sound whats so ever.

I noted that on main PCB board one TDA 7294 amp is missing (i think its the second one in bridge circuit for sub) does board have protection which wont allow activation of amps if one is missing ?

I also tried connecting front speakers to see if they will work but also nothing.

My question is, which schematic is 100% fool proof for activating amps ?As I plan on using sub and amps as 2.1 system, connecting my existing speakers to the sub so i will only need 2x 3.5mm jacks for fronts and sub.

dual z5500 to one Pod

Hi guys, I have two logitech z5500 and one POD, the idea is i want to connect both systems to this sub control with a splitter y vga, i'm not sure how to make the connections to the wires and i'm afraid to burn the POD, can anyone help me with a connector diagram of the splitter? :D

Logitech Z-5500 Subwoofer A/V Reciever Pre-out Adapter PID R001-R199 / R636+

Hello

We have just made a new stainless stell made an AV Reciver Pre-out adaptor for PID R001-R199 / R636+ on ebay , even gold RCA female out-put, any one would like to try this ?

For Logitech Z-5500 Subwoofer A/V Reciever Pre-out Adapter PID R001-R199 / R636+ | eBay

Also , there is Z5500 remote control we have just made for replacement , with fuse case holder , no setup need remote control , and fully tested for the function , hope it would be useful for guys here !

Remote Control For Logitech Z5500 Z-5500 With Fuse Holder English Version | eBay

If any other one need any other parts of the z5500 or something else , please kindly email me , we will do it for you :D

In order to use the subwoofer (PID R922) only with my AVR (Yamaha RX-V781) I made the cable like this. It works great.

One end is Female DE15 connector the other is Male RCA connector.
I altered a shielded VGA extension cable.

29uzk1t.jpg

I made this cable for my subwoofer (PID R544) and not work. Any idea?

Missing +8v ??

Hi everyone, I hope this post is still alive….
I have carefully read every post on this forum, but have not yet found the answer to get my system running again, so all trouble-shooting ideas and assistance is truly appreciated!
For clear identification, my system is as follows:-
PID R549, Spring Clips.
Symptoms:
After running at normal output for about an hour, the system suddenly died. No display or lights on the Pod. Fuse O.K., no obvious ‘burn-out’ of components or dodgy soldered joints anywhere, but no usual ‘thump’ when switching on or off at the mains switch of rear of SW.
Initially I took the easy way out by buying the ebay Replacement Control Pod, but found this only gave me sound through the centre speaker only, no matter whether it was fully connected to my computers’ 6ch sound card, or just on stereo through my iphone (trying each of the 3 Jacks for good measure). No good, just centre speaker only….
So I took a look into the SW electronics and found the following:-
Preamp Board (taller version, with Sub D Input and speaker output soldered wire connections along the top):
WA119 (thick black): Ground Pin13
WA125 (thin black): -18.3v Pin15
WA124 (red/black): +17.92v Pin14
WA126 (thin red): +0.64v Pin 10
[The preamp board has 5 x IC’s: 4 x R45801; 1 x HCT139]
Bridge Rectifiers (2 x KBPC1502): 35v from transformer
Main Board: Voltage Regulators: (U8): 78M18A & (U9): 79M18A
Problem:
Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree, but my reading into this gives me the strong impression that all is not well without the +8v on Pin 10 (perhaps needed to fire up the Pod?), yet the voltage regulators are correctly giving me +/- 18v.
I have seen several posts throughout the history of this forum topic [#9 (Mause); #398 (Spacies); #499 & 545 (Casdit)], but haven’t yet found the answer to the ‘missing +8v’.
Can anyone offer any tips on what to check/measure? I’m fairly handy with my multimeter, which can also check diodes, but not skilled with IC’s other than installation/soldering.
Thanks in advance for all,
Steve

Attachments

• Sub 11 (small).JPG
    Sub 11 (small).JPG
    903 KB · Views: 765
  • Sub 12 (small).JPG
    Sub 12 (small).JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 680
  • Sub 13 (small).JPG
    Sub 13 (small).JPG
    903.5 KB · Views: 661
  • Sub 5 (small).JPG
    Sub 5 (small).JPG
    924.9 KB · Views: 651
Hey folks,

I have a pretty old Z-5500 set that I've had in storage for the last 5+ years or so due to a defunct control pod unit. When it originally went out I scoured the internet for information on how to remedy the situation, but was not able to find a good solution or maybe there just was not enough effort on my part.

Long story short- I currently have a decent 2.0 system for my PC and I just want to use the Z-5500 subwoofer in the mix. I will continue to look over this thread (huge), but does anyone have a fairly simple or straightforward solution to this? I am willing to crack open the sub, but I am not too great at soldering. I am very willing to give this a shot though as I believe there is nothing wrong with the subwoofer (fuse, etc.).

Thanks!