Hacking the Logitech Z5500 - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2014, 08:37 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

i have z-5500 spring version when i connect pin 6'7'8 to gnd only center speaker work can some one pls help me on this
Old 24th June 2014, 08:41 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

What a fantastic thread. Thanks Undertone for starting it all those years ago, and thanks to all the other contributors. Great work.

I have an early spring clip version, R533, I got in non working condition about 2 months ago. The original owner had already gotten an out of warranty, discounted replacement, from Logitech and this unit was just taking up space so he gave it to me. The pod was totally dead. No stand by, no power, no display. And no sound. I did some research and discovered this was an extremely common issue with this system. So I opened the pod and was surprised to see that both the front and back sides of the circuit board in the pod were covered with what appeared to be white, powdery corrosion. I got out a fine, stiff brush and some 97% denatured alcohol and went to town on the board. When I got it looking like new I used my blow dryer to get it thoroughly dry and then plugged it in and turned it on. It worked! And I discovered why he liked this system so much. And now, about 6 weeks later, after I've grown to really like these speakers, the pod died again. I had just started Quake2 (one of my favorites) and turned to ask my son something. When I turned back the pod was in stand by mode, red led on the power button. I didn't remember turning it off so I grabbed the remote and hit the power button to turn it back on and it went completely off. No red or blue led, no display, and no sound.

Now I'm looking at replacing the pod with this mod using Przano's layout. But I would still like to use the pod. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused my unit to die the way it did? Any specific things I should look for? I'm a long-time vintage Hi-Fi enthusiast so I have the tools and know how to use them.

Thanks,
Rick

P.S. Hoping this thread is still alive.
Old 29th June 2014, 08:43 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Bump
Old 4th July 2014, 05:05 AM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danichan View Post
err.. i quoted O.o i'm sorry.
Edit. yeah! i spend some time probing the system (only sub and central) and at this moment, sub works properly xD, besides, i has been reading this post and i have to say: thanks a lot for your works and feedbacks, really now is easy to make the work.

my system's a R714, i think i don't need to use +-5v for ground, so my problem with low v in pin 10 has desapeared... maybe. in some days i'll recive new wires and other stuff, i think i buy too some pots and make a POD mod with the old case.

thank to all, german, english, russian... whoever makes it possible that i could do this.

See ya friends.
Same problem!!! Question: Is it possible to use another power source to replace this +8v?
Old 6th July 2014, 07:09 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

Default PID 512 working again

Hi,

After investing another 3 hours and studying the logic of the HTC139, I was able to fix some of my previous problems. Opposed to previous solutions for my PID 512 I had to hook up pin 7 to +5V and not connect pin 8 at all. This way, amplification is normal and no distortion occurs on the front channels. The only thing I didn't manage to get working without a workaround was the center channel. So I still had to connect +8V to center enable on the subwoofer board. I also added a switch between +5V and pin 7. I'll also add a LED before and after the switch to display main power and "power on".

Pin 7 and pin 8 are connected to 1A and 1B of the HTC139. 1G is always low. Y1 and Y3 are controlling "power on" and "center on". So with the right combination of signals on pin 7 and pin 8 you're able to switch on the amp. Feel free to hook up +5 or GND to those pins to experiment. Due to the HTC139 you won't do no harm.

The pin-out of my amp is:
1: Rear Right (brown)
2: Subwoofer (grey)
3: Left Right (yellow-black)
4: Center (blue-black)
5: Left Front (yellow)
6: not connected
7: Power ON (blue)
8: Mute (white)
9: Right Front (violett)
10: +8V (red)
11: ground (green)
12: ? (white-black)
13: ground (green)
14: +18V (red-black)
15: -18V (black)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board.jpg (295.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (252.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: png HCT139pinout.png (9.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg HCT139logic.jpg (76.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg control.jpg (213.0 KB, 190 views)
Old 10th July 2014, 07:54 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Neuweiler,

I'm planning on building this pod bypass and I like the changes you've made. They look like they make sense for my system with PID R533. Question, when you say
Quote:
The only thing I didn't manage to get working without a workaround was the center channel. So I still had to connect +8V to center enable on the subwoofer board
did you fix this with the yellow jumper you show in one of your images? Also, I seem to remember some posters mentioning grounding or ungrounding pin 6 to mute the system. Have you looked into that?

One more thing, will you be posting your LED additions here too (please)?

Thanks,
Rick

P.S. Glad someone is still keeping this thread alive
Old 13th July 2014, 10:12 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickKnight View Post
Question, when you say did you fix this with the yellow jumper you show in one of your images?
Yes, the yellow cable in the picture on the left is used to enable the center speaker.
Quote:
Also, I seem to remember some posters mentioning grounding or ungrounding pin 6 to mute the system. Have you looked into that?
I couldn't locate any wire in the original cable which connects to pin 6. But I think pin 8 is mute and if grounded or connected to 5V will mute the system.
Quote:
One more thing, will you be posting your LED additions here too (please)?

Thanks,
Rick

P.S. Glad someone is still keeping this thread alive
Glad if it helps someone. The LED's are very easy. If you want a LED to light up as soon as the device has power, connect it to the right side of the switch (in the diagram) and if you want to connect one to light up when it is switched on, connect it on the left side of the switch. Place a 220Ohm resistor in series of the LED connect the other side of the LED to ground. Depending on the color and size of the LED you may have to use a different resistor. (check resistor calculators on the net).
Connect a LED like this
Attached Images
File Type: gif LED3.gif (2.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 17th August 2014, 01:50 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Project Completed. Almost. Still a couple of things I plan on adding. I think I can add a mute function by simply connecting pin 8 to 5v+ through a switch. This worked in testing by touching the pin 8 lead to the 5v+ on pin 7 (also on the 8v+ supply on pin 10). I would also like to add a master volume control, but my current project box isn't quite large enough to hold a 6 gang pot. Another thing I would like to add is a headphone jack that will mute the speakers when a headset is plugged in, but I haven't figured that one out. Yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z-5500Mod_1.jpg (142.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Z-5500Mod_2.jpg (128.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Z-5500Mod_3.jpg (112.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Z-5500Mod_4.jpg (121.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Z-5500Mod_5.jpg (100.6 KB, 42 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Z-5500 Pod Replacement.pdf (37.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 20th August 2014, 11:50 AM   #519
diyAudio Member

Hello all the people,

I wanted to share my experience with z5500 without control pod. I stumbled upon logitech z 5500 sub without satellites or control pod. i searched online and immediately stumbled upon this beautiful forum and thread. I found the picture for a bypass cable with pots and vga adapter, lm7805, but all you know this very well. So i made one, and it fired up the sub on my first attempt. It was working perfectly. So i wanted to build like a box for potentiometer and on/off button, led's, so i did. As you can see in pictures...i have to close it but it is finished. Now all is working....but i noticed that when i turn on the sub there is this popping noise you know like POP, the speaker is not protected there are no relays like in ordinary power amps and so on...so this was like a DC pulse, in happens, but it was annoying. Maybe its not good for the speaker maybe it is, i don't know but it was annoying. So i wanted to solve it. Now,
pin 7 and pin 8 are very important for this. pin 7 is Amp on so it turns the amp on and pin 8 is mute. From the diagram mentioned when you get 8v to lm7805 and pin 6 pin 7 and pin 13 are connected to ground as in diagram, lm7805 fires up the amp and the mute is off at the same time so a pulse goes through the speaker and there it is a POP. First i tried connecting capacitors across lm7805 to suck up the spikes but that didn't work. The basic idea is that when pin 7 gets the ground, so to speak, the mute should be active all ready so no pops or whatever on speaker. I noticed that when i connect a resistor and a LED to ground directly from lm7805, pin 7 somehow through this resistor gets grounded and amp is on and +5v to pin 8 makes mute on so no POPs on on or off. Its hard to explain but i will post a diagram. Basically all you need is a resistor from lm7805 directly to ground and amp is on and mute is on and no pops. so then through a switch you can turn off +5v to pin 8 mute is off and speaker is on completely silent. i will post a diagram shortly. But the main idea is to turn on the amp before mute is off. And that happened when i put a resistor directly from +5v on lm7805 directly to ground .

cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01238-1_resize.jpg (479.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CAM01245_resize.jpg (481.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 20th August 2014, 12:30 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

Me again,

here is the diagram...i left out all the other led's but they are simple to connect. That thing circled in red grounded pin 7 and amp turns on , but at the same time mute is on through pin 8. You can af course lose that LED which is in red circle and leave only the resistor. I can now "this thing in red" connect through a switch so there are 2 switches, one amp on, the other the black one is all ready mute on/off. I don't know why this happened, but now are amp on and mute separated, and there are no POPs on on/off. I think its something in amplifier control board that through a resistor pin7 gets grounded, on other picture mute is on but notice the led...amp is on..)...hopes this helps someone..please feel free to ask questions if there are any...

all the best

in diagram in right corner there is written +5v to pin 7 ,,,thats actually +5v to pin 8, sorry for that...on vga sub connector pin 6 pin 7 and pin 13 are all connected together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5500SEMA.jpg (95.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg CAM01247_resize.jpg (416.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Samuraii; 20th August 2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: a mistake in diagram picture

Hide this!Advertise here!