Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Hacking the Logitech Z5500
Hacking the Logitech Z5500
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2014, 07:18 AM   #501
choro is offline choro  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Wiring

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I recently bought a spring Type Z5500 subwoofer only with all the electronics inside. Problem is, the toroidal transformer cables were cut and there are no clear pictures to show proper wiring, nor there are any schematics.

This is what I've managed to figure out, though I could be totally wrong!

Toroidal transformer has 7 wires, black/white are 120v ac.
Yellow/black/Orange - yellow and orange go to the bridge rectifier, right? with the black wire being ground? Does this make sense?
Blue/blue - I have no idea where these go, there is a small bridge rectifier on the main board, where a blue wire goes... there is also a black wire, but... I have no idea where the other blue wire goes?

Click the image to open in full size.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I want to resurrect this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wires.jpg (436.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 31st March 2014, 04:11 PM   #502
choro is offline choro  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default I think I found something about the wiring

Okay, I think I found a picture I can work with, picture is not mine, so I'm borrowing it from rjaii.

As far as I can see, the two blue wires coming from the toroidal transformer are connected to the two blue and black wires from the board (small bridge rectifier) via a couple of bell cap connectors, is this right?

The only question I might have is... the black wire is ground? I probably need to look at some power supply schematics to get the info on that one...

Any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030273.jpg (951.6 KB, 258 views)
Old 17th April 2014, 05:09 PM   #503
sylweksylwina is offline sylweksylwina
diyAudio Member

Can i use z5500 pod in other speaker system? I think enough is powering pod from +8V, +18V and -18V power supply and take analog outs from the wire. I need an digital audio decoder. Sorry for my bad english :-)
Old 4th May 2014, 11:16 PM   #504
KPC is offline KPC
diyAudio Member

i have a complete working spring clip type z5500 connected to my computer. today I picked up a standalone powered subwoofer at a yardsale. I'm interested in connecting the powered subwoofer to the existing z5500 so I have even more bass. What pinouts or wires do I need to tap into in the z5500 to send an output signal to the input of the standalone powered subwoofer
Old 15th May 2014, 12:15 AM   #505
Thorsteenster is offline Thorsteenster
diyAudio Member

Does anyone get speaker thump or pop when turning your system on or off?
I'm using a pod bypass cable I bought on Ebay a couple years back connected to an Asus AT3IONT motherboard, and whenever I turn the system of or shutdown I get a thump/pop from the system. I'm about to check if all channels by unplugging each audio plug and power cycling.
I just found the diagram in this thread for adding pots to the channels, and will be doing so. Mainly for bass, with out the pod there's no way to easily pump the bass up.

Maybe the voltage regulator will silence the amp during powering on/off cycles, or it seems I need to add capacitors somewhere to absorb the signal coming from the motherboard during powering on/off.
I've been playing with hardware and software settings to do with sound the past couple hours, so I don't think I can resolve this with a setting.
I'm putting this system together to sell, and this is the last tidbit to wrap up. I don't want the new owner getting it and hearing powering on/off noise.
Thanks!
Old 15th May 2014, 02:03 PM   #506
Thorsteenster is offline Thorsteenster
diyAudio Member

Wow, the pots are an absolute must!
I have another set of Z5500's with the control pod and connected it, along with the freshly replaced subwoofer (el cheapo Amazon Pyle 10" DVC 4ohm), really rocks!
So I'm starting to formulate a plan for this system to really tie it together as the system I'll be selling it as.
Will +5v turn the amp on?
Old 27th May 2014, 01:02 PM   #507
RudBH is offline RudBH
diyAudio Member

hello, I am new to the forum and I live in Brazil.

I have a home that the Z5500 control pad is shutting down, so I need to adapt the P2 cable therein, the PID it is the R020 which wiring diagram that the most right?
Already tried the taught in post # 485 put without the voltage regulator, I will test now with the regulator.

Has anyone tested this solution? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAaKV4yEuK8

hugs,
Rudolph
Old 27th May 2014, 03:18 PM   #508
RudBH is offline RudBH
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by przano View Post
Thank you EVERYBODY for you contributions to this thread since 2007. Truly inspirational!

I too have a pre-636, spring-clip version Z5500 with dead control pod. My goal was to create a bypass cable going from my computer sound card straight to the sub, with no internal sub mod, and still having 5.1 surround, yes all six speakers working, including center and sub working perfectly, and independently, just like they should.

The posts that helped me the most were knexkid, Toffmonster, fluxarc , Sstevensn72 , and the final big puzzle piece, foodbag, the key being the 7805 voltage regulator, and not directly grounding pin 8. Thank you all for your help!

My bypass works perfectly, all six speakers. Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Center, and Sub all working, tested independantly using Realtek test screen where you can select each speaker and hear it play. I also added pots to control volume, just as everyone else recommended. I recommend too, as it is very loud. Here is youtube video of my bypass in action.

The only thing that I noticed was my D-Sub female connector numbering is backwards from what this forum suggests. I've attached my schematics for both no-pot, and with-pots. You can see my D-Sub connector with embossed numbers. They are definitely backwards, but this works great!

I hope this post helps someone like all of the others did for me. Good Luck!
hello, I tested the schema without potentiometer post # 485 with the voltage regulator and gave sound in front, behind and under, give sound was missing in the central, and this same standard?

tanks,
Rudolph
Old 8th June 2014, 03:41 AM   #509
danichan is offline danichan
diyAudio Member

Default POD K.O. & pin 10 doesn't suply 8v

Hi, two days ago my loved z 5500 said good-bye . it happened restarting when i turned on the system. well, It seemed was a temperature problem, so i install a fan, like it can see in some webs. For that, i soldered fan as we can see in the image (ok, is not image there, xD but as can see in the 4 image, there i soldered the fan). the voltage at this moment was 7,8 aprox. Well, 0ne day gone on that invention. Now, the POD is dead, and the voltage fan is 0. I has wanted to test the voltage in the sub and pin 10 don't suply 8 v, now 3.4 aprox.

i don't know what happend, but i want to know if it's possible to do the bypass even though the voltage in pin 10 is weird.

i hope so, i like so much my z5500

thanks for all! (and sorry for my english xDD)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140607_221454.jpg (279.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140608_040817.jpg (307.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140608_040844.jpg (391.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140608_041039.jpg (350.1 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by danichan; 8th June 2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 8th June 2014, 08:35 PM   #510
danichan is offline danichan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danichan View Post
Hi, two days ago my loved z 5500 said good-bye . it happened restarting when i turned on the system. well, It seemed was a temperature problem, so i install a fan, like it can see in some webs. For that, i soldered fan as we can see in the image (ok, is not image there, xD but as can see in the 4 image, there i soldered the fan). the voltage at this moment was 7,8 aprox. Well, 0ne day gone on that invention. Now, the POD is dead, and the voltage fan is 0. I has wanted to test the voltage in the sub and pin 10 don't suply 8 v, now 3.4 aprox.

i don't know what happend, but i want to know if it's possible to do the bypass even though the voltage in pin 10 is weird.

i hope so, i like so much my z5500

thanks for all! (and sorry for my english xDD)
err.. i quoted O.o i'm sorry.
Edit. yeah! i spend some time probing the system (only sub and central) and at this moment, sub works properly xD, besides, i has been reading this post and i have to say: thanks a lot for your works and feedbacks, really now is easy to make the work.

my system's a R714, i think i don't need to use +-5v for ground, so my problem with low v in pin 10 has desapeared... maybe. in some days i'll recive new wires and other stuff, i think i buy too some pots and make a POD mod with the old case.

thank to all, german, english, russian... whoever makes it possible that i could do this.

See ya friends.

Last edited by danichan; 8th June 2014 at 08:54 PM.

Hacking the Logitech Z5500Hide this!Advertise here!