Hacking the Logitech Z5500

Yeah, no problem.

I just had an idea. Maybe the Z-5300 saves the last volume settings in memory, just like the Z-5400 pod does. I'd guess all the smart stuff is in the subwoofer and the pod acts just like a knob. That would also mean that you don't need to mess with the volume control. Just set it one time and then you don't have to change it any more. So try turning it on and see what you get. :)

Attachments

• rcacable.jpg
    rcacable.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,545
Hi all,

Good work on the Z-5450 camouflageX you seem to have made progress. The volume control should not be a problem as I intend to use the speakers connected to a PC and of course can control the volume there. I would be nice however to get the sub working properly as of course it is the best part!!! Do you think that the amp in your sub is the problem? Where would you connect pin 2 then, to the tip or ring of a 3.5mm jack?
I have not had time to test my system yet, work... But when I do get round to it I have your info to guide me. If you or anyone else makes any progress please post.
I will make sure to post as soon as I get mine working.

Cheers

Cliffdude

Thanks Cliffdude! I'm finished with my Z-5450. The pre-amp chip for the subwoofer was dead, that's why there was barely anything coming out of it. At the moment I'm using the center pre-amp to fuel the big subwoofer amps. The cabling works perfectly fine. :)

So yeah, I'm happy now and I hope the information will be useful for somebody else. Good luck with your system, too. :)

Can you tell me what resistors i need to take to build a attenuator for the subwoofer line ?

i have a z-5500 rca version..

When i connect 7 pin to +5v amp goes on but i hear terrible noise from subwoofer.. noise about 160hz without connect any db-15 cable..
i hear some noise from other speakers too but not to loud like a woofer spekaer

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi all :)

I have a z-5500 subwoofer (with amp. and all in it) and I wanted to connect the sub to my Technics amp.

I've made it like in this pic (made by me in paint ;p):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But, the sub doesn't work and I'm wondering if I made something wrong? Have I turned the PINS 180 degrees and connected them wrong?
I've used this INSTRUCTION:
attachment.php

I think this pic of the connector is the pic of the pins of the male out of sub (and the mirror pic of the pins in the male cable connector?)

Is the connection made by me good or not?

I've tested the woofer (before connecting him in the way described above) on a good control center (from z-5500) and it turned off when I played music on him (the contorl center pwr button turned RED, but the pic on the LED display was still there, and dissapeared only after I pulled the supply cable out).
I've tested it again and I've turned the sub off in the control panel and played music (the satelite speakers were not connected) and it didn't turned off, but after giving to the sub 10% of the power and playing music it turned off!
When I turned the sub off but connected one satelite speaker and played music the satelite membrane was moving (I could notice with my eye a 2cm amplitude!!!) but no senseable voice came out.

Coul anyone tell me if I made the connection to the Technics AMP right?
And what' wrong with the amp in the woofer?

Sorry for my bad language (I'm an outlander :)).

temp123456 said:
Is the connection made by me good or not?

Please try to connect all 6, 7, 8, 13 to ground. To check if you have the connector the right way around, use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on pin 14 or pin 15. Otherwise you can check if pin 13 has a resistance of 0 Ohm to the metal shield. When you turn the whole subwoofer on while the pins for unmuting and turning amps on are set correctly, you should hear a loud sound coming from the woofer. If that doesn't happen, you can also try giving +5V like it was described earlier in this thead.

I guess the problem with your control pod turning off is a problem in the pod itself or the pod doesn't get enough voltage. Check the voltage on pin 10 (+8V), 14 (+18V) and 15 (-18V).

Oh, and don't forget to use a high resistance resistor for the signal on pin 2. ;)

Good luck. :smash:

emce said:
Originally posted by temp123456
About my sub.. i dont know what resistors should i take to build attenuator for sub ?

Just use a cheap one with like 100 kOhm or maybe more. Maybe somebody can tell you what they use.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Lol, as I supposed I've connected the pins WRONG ;p
I've connected them like this
in place of pin 2 I've connected the cable to pin 4,
in place of pin 6 and 7 - 10,9
and only the 13. was good connected ;p

as You can see I've turned the whole thing 180 degrees ;p

But now the SUB is running, BUT It's too loud!!!
I must buy a resistor jes? 100 000 Ohm will be good?
But for what power should it be prepared? What maximal CURRENT does "flow" in the signal cable?

It's great to read that you've got it working now. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what resistor you need, because I didn't need them. 100 k Ohm sounds good to me, but I guess it's the best to buy a package of many resistors, so that you can try more if you need them.

There won't be much power going through the wire, so you can use any cheap resistors. They shouldn't get hot at all. Good luck! :)

Hello all-apologies for chiming in, but my electronics skills arent that great

I have searched the forums here but havent come across a reasonably easy way to connect my Logitech sub woofer directly to my Yamaha RX V757 AV Receiver (has pre out). Reason. The z5500 system as a whole has died. Assumption. The problem lies in the Control Pod. Fuse replaced in Sub, still no joy. I am out of warranty so looking at ways to resurrect the components. Have hooked the sat speakers up no problems. It gets my back up that the sys died so soon out of warranty. My electronic skills are minimal as far as fault finding, indentifying components, tracing etc. Have no problem building computers etc. So my options are 1/ just replace the sub with something similar (any guidance as to what is comparable would be appreciated, plus its cost) and keep the sub as an expensive foot rest. 2/ Somehow use the existing components in the Sub and add perhaps a pre amp or such that can connect directly to the AVRec (Again assuming all is well with core components in Sub, ie Driver, Preamp, Power supply). I have not come across anyone who has been able to by pass the logitech stuff and connect directly to an AV rec, slap me down if I am wrong.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Ok, I've made it in serial with two 51k Ohm rezistors (so it made 102 kOhm) but the speaker was to silent, with 51 K Ohm too, I've connected the two resistors in parallel and so it made 25,5 k Ohm, and I think it sounds almost perfect :)

So thank you very much for all the help :)
Greetings from Poland ^^

Fraid my assumption about the control pod being the problem with my sub is incorrect. Its the prob thats oft discussed on the net, ie turn on the master switch on the sub and the fuse blows (correct fuse). Repeatedly. Any pointers on fixing this prob, guesses as to what it could be?

Thanks all

One more for the Pod-less club

Hey there guys. May i join the '5500 Pod-less Club." Was hoping to hook up the speak set to a standard amp via the s-vga type connection at the back of the sub (like you guys have been working at). However this may be a bit beyond my abilities so am hoping to simply connect my amp sub out (rca) directly to the sub amp inside the sub box. Any chance of someone explaining how i would wire this up - ie which wires inside the sub box would i connect too. Appreciate any simple help you can offer. Cheers

After posting here in the hacking the logitech z5500 thread, I discovered that my z5500 was in all probability short circuiting in sub, could be a switch, could be a chipset-who knows. Given that no one seems to repair them, Logitech doesnt have parts, it would seem I have to throw in the towel. Which got me thinking. I have a driver. I have an enclosure. Could I not replace the guts of the sub with a new sub woofer amp-see link http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0507&keywords=subwoofer+amplifier&form=KEYWORD. You can get cheap active subwoofer for around the 200 dollar mark, as in here.....http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/49ec238306f62ea42740c0a87e0106b4/Product/View/A2669. I am unsure as to how the quality would compare to an original z5500. Note that any sub would be mated with a Yamaha AV Receiver. Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

So since i'm not all that great with trying to put something together..Would it be possible for some one to do the vga hack for my spring loaded podless z-5500..I would be willing to pay. I'm just like everyone else..except I have 2 other sets of podless z-5500 speakers. Yea died on me twice.. Thanks all