Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2008, 02:50 PM   #31
squib is offline squib  United States
diyAudio Member

Default controller pod as preamp

I'm curious if the DD/DTS and preamp functions on the z-5500 are handled by chips/PCB inside the controller pod. When I reconfigure my office space, I'm considering dismantling the Z-5500, but I'd like to keep the controller. Would it be feasible to use a separate power supply and use the controller as an "independent" preamp?

If possible, I'd use the existing D-sub connector and make a new enclosure with RCA outputs for the 5.1 connections with a separate amp.

Squib
Old 5th April 2008, 06:11 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default hmmmm

-Sanding of chip tops to prevent identification (mind you, the chinese subcontractor did a lousy job of this on my unit )

its not really that long time that nakamichi used some resistors marked as 1KOhm but inside of them was just a wire .....

the wonderfull japanese and the wonderfull 80's constructions
Old 8th April 2008, 04:02 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Re: controller pod as preamp

Quote:
Originally posted by squib
I'm curious if the DD/DTS and preamp functions on the z-5500 are handled by chips/PCB inside the controller pod. When I reconfigure my office space, I'm considering dismantling the Z-5500, but I'd like to keep the controller. Would it be feasible to use a separate power supply and use the controller as an "independent" preamp?

If possible, I'd use the existing D-sub connector and make a new enclosure with RCA outputs for the 5.1 connections with a separate amp.

Squib
Hi Squib,

ALL of the coding/decoding, matrixing and volume control is done in the pod. The Subwoofer is basically amplifiers and power supply.

But what you want to do with the pod might be a challenge. We've managed to make the amps work by poking around and tracing the relatively simple circuits in the speaker while the pod is a much more complicated circuit (and don't forget that there's 2 different types of amplifier topologies, so there might be differences in their respective pods as well). But if you do go that route, let us know how it works out.

If you're got a complete working system and you're going to dump the speakers, IMHO you'd be better off selling the kit and buying a 5.1/7.1 integrated receiver. There's many decent relatively inexpensive ones with Dolby/DTS.

u
Old 8th April 2008, 01:05 PM   #34
squib is offline squib  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply and info, undertone. I know that purchasing a working 5.1/7.1 receiver would be the straight forward approach, but I was curious to see if I might be able to re-use what I have on hand. I like the controller for the z-5500 just fine, so re-purposing the pod as pre-amp seemed a possibility. I'll be moving my "surround system" (err, z-5500) from a small room (12 x 10 ft) to a larger space (~16 x 20 ft) and the z-5500 is obviously not going to cut it. This wont be happening for some months, so I have time to evaluate all the options.

I was HOPING that the db-15 plug on the umbilical cord would have a fairly obvious option for connecting RF, LF, C RR, LR, and SUB line-level outputs plus a 12v(?) input.

Squib
Old 1st June 2008, 09:50 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi, I've been reading this thread for over 2 weeks, I've tried everything possible, and yet I still cannot figure out how to make my z5500 turn on. I tried the enable in's to 5+, and to the ground.. nothing worked..

I have the spring loaded one, and I am pretty handy with soldering and a dvm.. anyways, I was wondering if anybody had any info for me, This thread is pretty old, but its the only one of its kind for the z5500 and what we want to use it for !
Old 1st June 2008, 10:02 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default Hi!

Everythig is allrigh, but does any of you have schematic for this Loudspeaker sistem , I need schematic for Digital to analog converter or complete?!

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 5th June 2008, 02:34 AM   #37
Oskarom is offline Oskarom  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'm completly new here and just found this google'ing for the pinout of the DB15 connector on the Z5500 set.

Well here is my thought, I have this complete z5500 set that has a dead control center. It is not possible to get a new one from logitech since I live on a remote Island and the waranty is out, plus I got it for free since it was already broken.

Now I would love to hook this baby up to a AV Reciver. It would be fairly straight forward to connect the speakers directly to the speakers output of my reciever and use pin 2 and ground for the pre amp subwoofer output. But it would be pretty sweet to be able to use the built in amp for all the speakers but not only the sub. That would require an pre amp output from my reciever, that I don't have.

My question is simply do you know of any "not-so-expencive" AV Preamp recivers, like this one http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/970.html . but maybe few hundred dollars less expencive.

Regards
Oskar
Old 21st August 2008, 04:11 PM   #38
SONiQ is offline SONiQ  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This is sweet.

I built a small box with RCA inputs in one end, SUBWOOFER pot to controll the LFE input and a short cable with metalshielded HD15 in the other end.

Hooking this up to a decoder or a multichannel-out enabled DVD (with volume control, ofcourse) worked like a charm on all channels.

My problem is that the SUB input is too low. That particular input seem to be connected to GND through a 10kOhm resistance somewhere, which could explain the lesser gain. Could this be due to the LP filter it runs through?

It has loads of gain if I connect a normal linelevel signal, like the FRONT L or R, or a CD player directly, but a conventional SUB PRE-OUT on my DENON A/V Receiver gives a very low signal. I have to let it pass unattenuated with 12dB gain set on the SW output on the receiver to get good bass.

So, my question is, do the SW input line have some built in attenuation? If so, is it disconnectable? And if it's the filter, I really don't need it since my A/V have built-in LP filter on the SW PRE-OUT, so could someone give a hint on where the filter is situated in the sub, so I could bypass it?

Thanks for any help.

//
SONiQ
Old 21st October 2008, 07:26 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hello people,

I find this thread very interesting, because I'm trying to get a Z-5450 running that I bought cheap. Unfortunately the pod doesn't have a connector any more.

Now I'm tying to get it to work. So far the pin layout seems to be very similar to the Z-5500's one. The amp turns on and I've got the satellite speakers running, but the subwoofer is very, very, VERY quiet. Maybe it's even muted, I don't know. :/

At the moment I have it connected like this (for subwoofer only):
pin 2 <--- line out (for subwoofer)
pin 6 & 7 <--- GND from line out (turns amp on)
pin 13 <--- GND from line out

It would be very nice if somebody could help me. Do you know what pins do I use to power the pod (thick red and green line?)? Or does anybody have an idea how to get the subwoofer loud or unmuted?

Your help is very appreciated, thank you!
Old 26th October 2008, 03:25 PM   #40
ronsu is offline ronsu  Finland
diyAudio Member

Angry z5500 it just doesn't fire up!

Quote:
Originally posted by liv2ride
Hi, I've been reading this thread for over 2 weeks, I've tried everything possible, and yet I still cannot figure out how to make my z5500 turn on. I tried the enable in's to 5+, and to the ground.. nothing worked..

I have the spring loaded one, and I am pretty handy with soldering and a dvm.. anyways, I was wondering if anybody had any info for me, This thread is pretty old, but its the only one of its kind for the z5500 and what we want to use it for !
I've got the exact same issue. Just can't get it to turn on. I've got about 15cm (~6") db15 cable in the end of the sub, i have wired all the input pins to headphone connectors +wire and pins 6,7 & 8 to ground (tried +5v also). The connections should be right... There's just this little *snap* from the woofer when i connect pins 6,7 & 8 to ground.

Have i misunderstood something here or is the amplifier really broken?
This is the only forum i managed to "google" considering my issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!