alps or noble?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! well I hope I am in the right place to post.well my question is: should I use a noble potentiometer or alps potentiometer for my "gainclone LM3875".which one is better.I know Peter use a lot the nobles.is there a lot of difference in quality?.and should I replace the "panasonic 1500mf 50v" for black gate 1000mf 50v?.I am sorry for these questions.but I am trying to build something good and simple.thank you for your help.

Depends on who you ask. The Alps RK097 "Blue Velvet" is generally easier to come by (~$15 from numerous sites). The nobles are available on a few specific sites now for $20ish each. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay or through other online sites for as low as $5.

I personally would just go with the Alps since they're easy to source, unless you find the nobles cheaper somewhere. That said, I like the feel of the nobles a bit more, and they seem a little more robust (metal case instead of plastic, etc.).

I just finished a GC power amp and built a "passive preamp" using a Noble 50K. This is the first time I've used a Noble. I've now used with my LM3886 GC and my LM3875 GC. I have to say it is the best "sounding" pot I've ever used for a GC.

I have used Alps as well and have one sitting on my bench right now waiting to go into a valve project. Measuring both I found the 50K Noble to have much better tracking between channels than the Alps. Within 2% at every detent with the Alps varying up to 6% (though usually less than 5% and often closer). Since the Alps doesn't have detents I just turned it so one side measured an even multiple of 5000 ohms and then measured the other side.

All-in-all I really like the Noble!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.