diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   alps or noble? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/110207-alps-noble.html)

lanchile07 17th October 2007 02:03 AM

alps or noble?

Hello! well I hope I am in the right place to post.well my question is: should I use a noble potentiometer or alps potentiometer for my "gainclone LM3875".which one is better.I know Peter use a lot the nobles.is there a lot of difference in quality?.and should I replace the "panasonic 1500mf 50v" for black gate 1000mf 50v?.I am sorry for these questions.but I am trying to build something good and simple.thank you for your help.

motherone 17th October 2007 06:05 AM

Depends on who you ask. The Alps RK097 "Blue Velvet" is generally easier to come by (~$15 from numerous sites). The nobles are available on a few specific sites now for $20ish each. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay or through other online sites for as low as $5.

I personally would just go with the Alps since they're easy to source, unless you find the nobles cheaper somewhere. That said, I like the feel of the nobles a bit more, and they seem a little more robust (metal case instead of plastic, etc.).

lanchile07 20th October 2007 03:52 AM

thank you for your sugestion.:cheers:

motherone 20th October 2007 07:58 PM

No problem. Personally, I can't hear a difference between the two. I just prefer the construction of the Noble, but the Alps are definitely more readily available.

audiopro 20th October 2007 08:36 PM

Personally I prefer the Noble also. They have better tracking between sections than the Alps Blue.
The Nobles are readilly available from Michael Percy or Parts Connexion

lanchile07 20th October 2007 09:33 PM

thank you very much for all your help guys.:cheers:

Sherman 21st October 2007 12:16 AM

I just finished a GC power amp and built a "passive preamp" using a Noble 50K. This is the first time I've used a Noble. I've now used with my LM3886 GC and my LM3875 GC. I have to say it is the best "sounding" pot I've ever used for a GC.

I have used Alps as well and have one sitting on my bench right now waiting to go into a valve project. Measuring both I found the 50K Noble to have much better tracking between channels than the Alps. Within 2% at every detent with the Alps varying up to 6% (though usually less than 5% and often closer). Since the Alps doesn't have detents I just turned it so one side measured an even multiple of 5000 ohms and then measured the other side.

All-in-all I really like the Noble!

lanchile07 21st October 2007 02:35 AM

Thank you sherman.I hear a lot people with high knowledge that prefer nobles too.so I am going with the nobles potentiometer.thank you again.

lanchile07 21st October 2007 03:28 AM

Hi! well since I am going to use the Nobles potentiometers.where can I get "nice looking knobs for it?.I have some from Radio Shack but.they look horrible.I have seen some nice looking ones but.I do not know where they get them from.thank you.:confused: