low value feedback resistors on LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
^^ I'd like to know more about this, if you can help me find some references.

I've used 22/1 and 4.7/220 (on different chips, though) and I'm still to figure out the effects and differences of these arrangements. I was going for lowest impedance to lower the output offset, and it did help. That was the only thing I could measure, really.

Would love to read more, though I'm beginning to get a hint of why this is true.

Thanks.

sangram said:
^^ I'd like to know more about this, if you can help me find some references.

I've used 22/1 and 4.7/220 (on different chips, though) and I'm still to figure out the effects and differences of these arrangements. I was going for lowest impedance to lower the output offset, and it did help. That was the only thing I could measure, really.
22k/1k0 and 220k/4k7 ?
or
22k/1k0 and 220r/4r7?
or
22k/1k0 and 4k7/220r?

the usual values are just convenient. Small enough for noise, offset and parasitic effects.
Large enough for thermal effects and if you want to add some capacitors.
I think the LM chips are sweet tempered and one could choose the feedback resistors over a broad range.
regards

those have larger temperature coefficients, larger resistance tolerances and larger dc related noise.
I don't know, if all these theoretical disadvantages matter in a real world application.
But this is also true for the advantages.
What do you expect from lower value feedback resistors?
Regards
Jürgen

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The only thing I can think of is lower offset at the output, if that thing worries you (I was worried). I managed to get it down to 5 mV with 4k7/220 ohm combination. I used 1/8 watt resistors and didn't face any dissipation problems.

Later I have reverted to 22K/1K plus a 47uF FC cap, and find this combination sonically acceptable - plus around 0.3 mV output offset. TBH, I haven't done any AB tests for sound quality, plus the chips are all different.

LM4780 BPA - 22k/1k, no cap
LM4766 - 4k7/220E, no cap
LM3886TF - 22K/1K, plus 47 uF Pana FC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.