can you make LM3876 work in Class A ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to embark on a Large LM3876 adventure with 8 Lm's for each channel......
It accured to me that you can make traditional opamps work in class A by connecting the output of the opamp to the supply via a resister.....so why should that not work with power opamps (like the LM38XX series) as well?
Has anybody tried this, or is there a reson why this can not be done?

I actually got the search engine on the page to work (I just read what it said insted of just trying to do it my way....ups!
This only produced one thread I could use (there might be something about class A lm's on page 43 or 218 or 9 of some threads which does not indicate so in there headline, but my life is just to short to sit and read all of the threads involving chipamps).
I will try the google search to see if it will do better (thanx for the tip).

"It accured to me that you can make traditional opamps work in class A by connecting the output of the opamp to the supply via a resister....."

That will work, but it generally works better (even with small signal opamps) to use an active current source instead of the resistors.

I would use an Aleph type CCS (see Pass board).

In theory you could hit 25% efficiency, so you will need a heatsink that will dissipate 200W to put out 50W/8R, and the Aleph CCS will allow for impedance dips below 8R.

On second thought I would just build a Pass A40 or an Aleph. AudioXpress still sells the board for the A40 for about $6. The theoretical efficiency for the A40 is 50%.

Jonnravn said:
I am about to embark on a Large LM3876 adventure with 8 Lm's for each channel......
It accured to me that you can make traditional opamps work in class A by connecting the output of the opamp to the supply via a resister.....so why should that not work with power opamps (like the LM38XX series) as well?
Has anybody tried this, or is there a reson why this can not be done?

Yes, some did try it and it's called class-A biasing. You don't quite get into class A, because the chip will not allow you. Audio quality seemed to worsen, not improve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.