newbie seeking info about homemade ipod amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm new to the world of audio amplifiers, and I discovered it while developing a project.

I'm developing an homemade iPod audio station. I already created schematics for IR remote controller, PC interface, and some minor features.
Now I need to build an amplifier. This led me to a plenity of questions.

* Which type of amplifier should I choose? (output power, technology)
* What is the relationship between power and weight/dimensions/dissipated heat of the power supplier?
* What about volume control?
* What about those really nice vu-meters on professional devices?
* How should I choose speakers?

I really don't know anything about audio processing, so I'll give you an idea of the result I'd like to obtain, hoping that someone here can give me some suggestions.

* My device should be "portable". That means that its dimensions shuld be of about 30x30x8 cm, and it shouldn't be too heavy.
* Its power should be enough to be heard inside a room.

I already found volume control unit (MAX5406 seems good!) and a suitable vu-meter (LM3915N from Philips).

Now I'd like to have some suggestions about the amplifier. Can anyone please help me with a link to some schematics?

Thank you very much!
Roberto

I'll have a look at it. But, can you please tell me why?

It's due to dissipated heat? or dimension/weight of the power supplier?

I saw some schematiscs that use chip amplifiers (such as TFA9843AJ) that seemed quite small and had a good power output. This is the reason why I posted here.
Still, I can't evaluate them as I have no experience with amplifiers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
disti said:
It's due to dissipated heat? or dimension/weight of the power supplier?

Both; ClassD is highly efficient and can be build the size of a credit card (without supply).
Unfortunately, that's about all I know about them, I'm more like an analogue man.
ClassA, as an example, is the least efficient, requiring massive power supplies and dissipating a lot of heat.
Not something you want if portable is needed. ;)

/Hugo

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Roberto,

You have good ambition, and much to learn. Start by reading through the threads on this forum and try not to rush things!

A chip-amp might be a good place to start, although Class D is also sensible. If you have not made an amp before you might want to buy a pre-made module and then add a basic power supply. For decent ready-made amp modules look at the Hypex: site
http://www.hypex.nl/

Regarding the MAX5406: it has many features and controls, however please remember that it is not the best of performers. For more information on basic preamplification have a look at the ESP site:
http://sound.westhost.com/projects.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm

What about using a National LM1876 (2 times 20 Watt)
//
Small
Enough output power
Lots of information on the net (google for LM1876 or LM1875)
Low voltage (+22 -22 V => ie 80VA 18V toroid)

and two small fullrangedrivers. (Visaton FRS8-8)
//
Don't need much room
Cheap (€ 10,- each )
Lots of info on the web (try the fullrange driver section of DIYAudio!)
High quality sound

Note: I haven't tried either of these suggestions but based on reading tons of info on the net about DIY you might try something like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.