choosing gain in LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my preamp has a gain of 8x. Can someone please help on the recommended gain for the LM3886.

I searched the forums but came back empty. I know that Brian's user manual uses a default of around 30+ for gain. it is possible that this was set because the LM3886 doesn't uses an active preamp.

thank you very much for the help

Dear Jarthel,

There is no data abgout your power needs. Anyway,
Overture Design Guide says,
With +/-35v PSU you can get ~61W at 8 ohm load.
You have 8x gain already..
If you give 22K/1K2 = 19,33 V/V gain then you will have 19,33+8 = 27,33 Total gain.
Result:
To get 61W (with 1% THD) on 8 ohm loads 200mV will be enough (as usual)..
If you use +/-35v PSU and have 8 ohm speaker then set the gain 19,33 V/V with 22K/1K2..

Dxvideo said:
Dear Jarthel,

There is no data abgout your power needs. Anyway,
Overture Design Guide says,
With +/-35v PSU you can get ~61W at 8 ohm load.
If you give 22K/1K2 = 19,33 V/V gain then you will have 19,33+8 = 27,33 Total gain.
Result:
If you use +/-35v PSU and have 8 ohm speaker then set the gain 19,33 V/V with 22K/1K2..

Hi Ozgur. I looked at the datasheet and the overture design guide and cannot find any info on gain selection.

the supply will be +/- 30V on a 8ohm load (6ohm nominal).

thank you very much.

Because you will determine the gain anyway.
Ok if you use +-30v supply then,
You will get 44W into 8 ohm load.
To get this power with 8x pre amp and 200mV input sensivity, you must set the amplifiers gain 16V/V.
And with 18K/1K2 resistors you may get this gain. However in practise if you use more lower values on NFB line (like 1K8 / 120R) that gives your more noisefree operation, as my experiences..

Dxvideo said:
Result:

No,
If you have 8x gain already and set the 3886 gain to 19.33, then the total gain is 8 * 19.33 = 154.6 not 27.33.
You read that right; it is not a mistake. Gain factor is multiplied not added. Only if you express gain in dB can you add it. For example, a gain of 8 V/V is expressed as 18 dB, and a gain of 19.33 V/V is 25.7 dB, so the total gain should be 18 + 25.7 = 43.7 dB. This is confirmed: 154.6 V/V is 43.7 dB.

Remember that the 3886 requires gain to be set to 10x or higher for stability. So the minimum total gain of your system is 8 * 10 = 80 (V/V) or 38 dB. Your amp would clip with approximately 250 or 300 mV (RMS) at the input of the pre-amp. The overall gain is a little high but not too bad.

macboy said:

So the minimum total gain of your system is 8 * 10 = 80 (V/V) or 38 dB. Your amp would clip with approximately 250 or 300 mV (RMS) at the input of the pre-amp. The overall gain is a little high but not too bad.

are you saying the minimum total gain is a bit high? is there a guide for choosing gain?

250mV at the preamp input = what value at the output?

thank you very much

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
jarthel said:

I already know the formula for the gain from past experiences and reading the user manual of Brian's board. i guess the thread is a question of why such a gain/what gain to use instead how to calculate gain :)

Ok. You say your preamp has a gain of 8x (not 8v or 8db), that means that at ordinary line output (1.2Vrms) you will have 9.6Vrms on output.
For non clipping performance from the chip amp, gain would have to be ~10db or 3.2v/v. That is too little - gain must be 10v/v or greater for stability.
How's that?

it seems to me there are conflicting views in this thread which is getting me confused. :(

Dxvideo said:
Sorry...
Made a calculation mistake.. Thats true: 8x + 16x not equal to 24x...
However if you want to have 200mV sensivity for 44W then you must have 16 V/V, so as a conclusion my calculation is right.

how did you get 16x gain as the ideal value? what datasheet/article are you looking at?

MJL21193 said:

Ok. You say your preamp has a gain of 8x (not 8v or 8db), that means that at ordinary line output (1.2Vrms) you will have 9.6Vrms on output.
For non clipping performance from the chip amp, gain would have to be ~10db or 3.2v/v. That is too little - gain must be 10v/v or greater for stability.
How's that?

how do you know the non-clipping performance of the chip? what graph/page in the datasheet should I be looking at?

============

maybe I should lower the Vsupply?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
jarthel said:

how do you know the non-clipping performance of the chip? maybe I should lower the Vsupply?

In the following graphic from the xls worksheet you will see the box labeled "input for 1% output" it has a red arrow beside it. This label is a little bit misleading. It really should say "input of 100% output". Regardless, this is the maximum input voltage that the amp will handle before clipping.
Changing the gain of the amp will change this figure. If you lower the gain, you will increase this figure, therefore more input voltage can be dealt with before the amp clips.
Decreasing the rail voltage will decrease the maximum input voltage and maximum power output so this is not a good solution.
As you increase or decrease the gain of the amp, the power output does not change (second red arrow), only the maximum input voltage.
If you must use this preamp, you should try to find some way to reduce it's gain.
Addition of a pot before the chipamp with a standard gain of 27db will be fine for line input from most devices or you could use it to reduce the input from your preamp..

Attachments

• xls1.png
    xls1.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 811
MJL21193 said:

In the following graphic from the xls worksheet you will see the box labeled "input for 1% output" it has a red arrow beside it. This label is a little bit misleading. It really should say "input of 100% output". Regardless, this is the maximum input voltage that the amp will handle before clipping.
Changing the gain of the amp will change this figure. If you lower the gain, you will increase this figure, therefore more input voltage can be dealt with before the amp clips.
Decreasing the rail voltage will decrease the maximum input voltage and maximum power output so this is not a good solution.
As you increase or decrease the gain of the amp, the power output does not change (second red arrow), only the maximum input voltage.
If you must use this preamp, you should try to find some way to reduce it's gain.
Addition of a pot before the chipamp with a standard gain of 27db will be fine for line input from most devices or you could use it to reduce the input from your preamp..

I played with the feedback resistors to get some idea of "input for 1% output". Even with a gain of 11x and Vsupply of +/- 30V (6ohm load), the "input for 1% output" = 2.4+Vrms.

My CD player has a 2Vrms output. I've looked around and ML's CD player (http://www.marklevinson.com/products/specs.asp?prod=no390s) has a 2.25Vrms. that's 2+Vrms without active preamplication. even with a preamp with a 2x gain (2 x 2Vrms), that's already over the 2.4+Vrms max input voltage.

Is there something wrong with the spreadsheet or a chipamp is better suited for passive preamp?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
jarthel said:

My CD player has a 2Vrms output. I've looked around and ML's CD player (http://www.marklevinson.com/products/specs.asp?prod=no390s) has a 2.25Vrms. that's 2+Vrms without active preamplication. even with a preamp with a 2x gain (2 x 2Vrms), that's already over the 2.4+Vrms max input voltage.

Hi,
Site you linked to the ML CD player give this:
"Maximum Output (0dBFS): 4.45V balanced
2.225V single-ended "
2.25V is less than 1.6Vrms. Rms is the mean voltage, that spec is for peak voltage (the balanced is for peak to peak).
A good example is our household current. We have 120 VAC here but thats the rms value. It's actually 170 volts peak. Total voltage swing is 340 volts peak to peak, but the negitive protion of the wave is not considered for AC.
A quick way to convert peak voltage to rms is to divide by 1.414.
It's confusing, I know.

MJL21193 said:

Hi,
Site you linked to the ML CD player give this:
"Maximum Output (0dBFS): 4.45V balanced
2.225V single-ended "
2.25V is less than 1.6Vrms. Rms is the mean voltage, that spec is for peak voltage (the balanced is for peak to peak).
A good example is our household current. We have 120 VAC here but thats the rms value. It's actually 170 volts peak. Total voltage swing is 340 volts peak to peak, but the negitive protion of the wave is not considered for AC.
A quick way to convert peak voltage to rms is to divide by 1.414.
It's confusing, I know.

Thanks for the explanation.

but it still doesn't explain that with an active preamp with a gain of 2x on a normal CD player, you're already over the clipping limit of the LM3886.

I'm just wondering where did you read "input of 1% output" = max input voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.