Never made anything before

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have been making speakers for a while now, and want to learn how to build amplifiers.
i thought I would start with a chip-amp, how easy to build is Rod Elliots project
http://sound.westhost.com/project19.htm
also does it sound as good as described?? I would then build an electronic cross-over and use this to drive tweeters in a tri-amped system.
ANY advice gratefully received, also tips on best suppliers for the components in Melbourne Australia
Thanx;-0TED

For cheap general parts use Jaycar or Altronics, for higher quality (and price) use Farnell or RS Components. All of these do mail order cheaply with good web pages. Dick Smith used to be good, but they are hopeless now that Woolworths has bought them. I won a $100 voucher and could find nothing I wanted to buy.

Read the construction guide for the Class D Coldamps (even though the one you are building is class AB) because it covers some very good power supply theory.

I would suggest starting with something that doesn't have a mains power supply for safety reasons. One mistake and it's all over. The stereo width controller or the Linkwitz transform for subwoofer would be a good choice, or browse through the kit listings in Jaycar or Altronics and start with something cheap.

I am building the P09 crossover with P05 power supply and using T-amps to bi amp. Make sure you read the section about speaker protection in the second half of the bi-amping article. Jaycar has some cheap motor start capacitors.

I like Rod's designs, but if you are a complete beginner I think you should have a practice run with a dinky little kit with all parts included. If nothing else it's good soldering practice.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanx for the advice, I was looking at Rod's site because I wanted to try his ELF kit and see how that compared to ordinary subwoofers, it just looked like the chip-amp was the easiest way to start.
Also if I did need a really powerful amp it would be much cheaper to build one of course.
I know I can solder;- I've been making my own interconnects and doing crossovers for yonks now.
I take your warnings about high voltage mains power seriously too.
I bought a kit a while ago ( Jaycar:- the playmaster 3 ) but as soon as I read the instructions I realised it was beyond my beginners ability and paid a local technician to assemble it, that was still a worthwhile exercise, even with his fee it was cheaper than the eqivalent retail power-amp.
TED

I breadboarded the ELF curcuit for a while, it is very good and that is a great kit to start with. Buy the board for that and get the bits. If you can handle Ikea furniture you're laughing.

I'm 90% of the way thru pricing parts for two P09 with a P05 supply in a 19 inch 2RU case using better than standard parts. (2RU to fit A pair of trends TA10.1 inside).

$400 and counting. The big hitters are $63 for OPA2134 opamps, $66 for the case, $32 for a pair of motor start capacitors with polyprop bypass caps (to protect the tweets from DC), $80 for assorted connectors. All resistors 1% metal film, all supply filter caps ESR 105 degree , Other electros 105 degree, little caps are MKT.

You can get good capacitors in Australia, boutique capacitors are hard to get. The bits are around but limited values and exhorbitant prices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.