DC offset when turning amp off....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just finished BrianGT's LM3886 amp. I am using the feedback resistor, and I get 1mV when measuring DC offset.

But, when turning it off the DC offset reaches almost 4V before quickly falling to 0mV again. What is the reason for this, and is it dangerous?

Also, I have connected the CHG points to AC ground, and all of these are connected to chassis ground. Does anything else need to be connected to ground?

Glenn

How did you connect your mute pin? Are you measuring that without a load? try putting a 10ohm resistor of the output... do not apply any signal.. just short the input... now put voltage probes over the resistor and switch off... you will likely see that the current is not much when its delivired into a load.... you can work out the current useing ohms law the measured voltage and the resistor value...

ghisdal said:
Hi,

Just finished BrianGT's LM3886 amp. I am using the feedback resistor, and I get 1mV when measuring DC offset.

But, when turning it off the DC offset reaches almost 4V before quickly falling to 0mV again. What is the reason for this, and is it dangerous?

Also, I have connected the CHG points to AC ground, and all of these are connected to chassis ground. Does anything else need to be connected to ground?

Glenn

When you measure the offset without speakers connected, 4V value is normal at turn off. You won't see it though, when speakers are connected.

If you are not sure, measure the offset behaviour with 8 ohm resistor connected to the output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.