LME49720 Vs LM4562....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TI lists the LM4562 as active and has a datasheet from April 2013, this would rather
indicate that the LM4562 has not been relabeled to LME49720 (which is listed too
and has a datasheet of its own).
Either they did this for marketing reasons or the are different chips. (I have not compared
the current datasheets yet).

Compared the datasheets; everything identical to the last digit, except for the LME49860 where output current and offset are specified for the higher supply voltage.
The LME49720 is the only one still available in a TO-99 package.
I guess that the chips are identical with the LME49860 tested for higher supply voltage.

We have a statement here from an original product manager at National that reads the parts are 100% identical, it is the exact same silicon :
www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/132471-national-opamp-inflation-24.html#post1928440

If anyone perceive different sound it's either normal part-to-part variation or just simply confirmation bias, I would dare say.

And I have heard the rumor that the 4562 was Walt Jung's swan song to the DIY audio community - and is nothing like the other chip.

Do you think that TI/National would admit this?

My favorite IC is....

My newest favorite dual IC is the National LM 6172. It is a very high gain, low distortion, wideband opamp. It will work well in only the best designed and laid out circuits. I call it the 'Shrew' of ICs - very hard to tame but if you can it's rewards will be amazing. This IC is good enough that when running it as a headphone amp with a good pair of headphones I can actually pull out individual tracks of a multi track recording.

it is likely it is a different chip.
from a manufacturer's point of view if the specs are identical then the chips are identical,
it has happened before that the process changes yet the chip number stays the same so long as the new chip meets the published spec.
so it seems likely these are different chips & different processes with similar minimum specs.
The schematic might even be the same yet the processes might be different.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.