Banana's Pre - inelegant way to contrl vol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Page 1 of the discrete ADC schematic.

Total 10 quad comparators. In order to gain some precious PCB real estate, I use the more expensive push-pull comparator (instead of good old LM339). 40 pullup resistors are save.

LVL01 is the maximum attenuation. Below LVL01 is mute state, and opamp output relay will open.

LVL37 is 0dB attenuation, all 8 shunt relays are open.

LVL38~39 are the active gain state, audio signals are rounted to the variable gain opamp, without passing through the shunt relay attenuator. The comparator is connected as non-inverting for these 2 levels.

Attachments

• discrete adc vol (pg1).pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 209
Page 2, the XNOR chain.

This logic stage is to convert the cummulative output from comparator into decimal (01111 -> 01000).

Diode delay is added to some levels, to create anti-pop "make before break" for the relays. It's only required when relay state carries to the next digit (011 -> 100).

Attachments

• discrete adc vol (pg2).pdf
    21 KB · Views: 129
The gain table that shows detail of shunt relay assignment.
V0~V7 are the 8 shunt volume control relays.

Attachments

• gain table.gif
    gain table.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 749
Thanks Jopie.

I was using passive preamp (24 steps grayhill switch) for years, and in fact I couldn't notice substantial difference after switching to the new preamp. The LME49710 is quite neutral and quiet.

The user control is better, there are finer steps in the low volume range, volume knob is much smoother than the stiff old grayhill, and now I have a remote.

Page 1 of the IR receiver schematic.

IR photodiode -> I/V converter -> 16.384KHz bandpass filter -> Diode peak detect ->>

I cannot set the 16K bandpass gain too high, otherwise it'll be interfered by other 38K remote unit in close distance, despite the wide difference in carrier frequency.

Attachments

• ir remote receiver pg1.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.