blow transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI everyone;

I new on this and I am going crazy.
i made a gainclone .It sound ok very nice no hum at all.
but everytime i put it on the transformer get very hot eveen with no sound at all.
I blew two of them in .
any suggestion.
i look at the boards and I do not see anything in short cut.The last time I take and amperimeter
and it was going up until 4.5 amp.
we use here 110v.
any ideas?
thanks ricardo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In simple terms, an oscillating amp is producing high frequencies that you cannot hear.
If it puts much of his energy in doing that, a lot of current is running all the time even when no music plays.
A common cause is too long wires in the signal path or a bad board layout. Can you post a schematic and a picture of your amp?

If it plays fine, the chip will be fine, too.

/Hugo

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I had a similar instance once and believe it or not a power supply capacitor was bad and measured a low impedance. The amp worked and sounded ok but the rail voltage was low and the supply got very hot because the bad cap was a low impedance across the supply rail.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
That too. Polarized electrolytics usually explode if subjected to reverse voltage, especially if the cap's voltage rating is close to that of the rail voltage. If the rating is substantially higher they can take reverse voltage for longer than you'd expect!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
My guess is that the Transformer is wired incorrectly to the PS board (Center tap vs dual secondaries).

I ran into this problem this first time I built a BrianGT GC. On the instruction on the LM3875, it goes into detail on how to wire up either a CT or dual secondary, while on the LM3886 instructions, just the dual secondary wireup is mentioned. Dual secondary requires two Full Bridge Rectifiers while CT only requires one, so half of the eight MUR 860's are not used....

If you have a high enough fuse or no fuse at all, maybe the transformer may slowly burnup??? .

Do you have a Center tapped or Dual secondary tranny?

thanks for your ideas.
I have a fuses but the transformer keep blowing out.
I think that the problem is as john65b said that I have the 3 times a ct transformer.
I looked the LM 3875 manual and I do not understand clear.
I think that I have to use only one of the secondarie + and one - ( acin)
is this correct.?
Thanks in advance it is been very helpful the forums and your opinions.
Ricardo

Joined 2005
Paid Member
If you only have three wires on your transformer secondary, it is center tapped and you would only require one full wave bridge rectifier.

If you have four wires off your secondary, you hvae a dual secondary, and you can use two or one full bridge rectifiers

In order to help, need to see a pic or diagram of the power supply circuit. Is this a BrianGT or Perter Daniel kit?

Remember to measure your speaker impendance with a multimeter... I have had instances with thermal runaway, due to a speaker that must have developed a short in the coil... measuring something above 2.5ohm instead of the 6. something you'd expect from an 8 ohm speaker... I remeber ripping that PCB up probably 3 times before I zoned in on the problem...

Useing an LM3875, the chip can handle i nthe area of 7A (too lazy to check it up again right now... but it is in that vicinity...)

the system will fry the weakest link in the chain... if your transformer has a lower current rateing than the chip.. the chip can easily outlive the transformer during an error condition...

I would at a minimum use a 160VA transformer... and prefferably something in the 250 to 300VA range

Of course if you make a mess with the diodes I suppose it could increase the workload on the transformer... but I'd expect it to blow pretty fast...

please tell us more about the tranformer connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.