What about NE5532?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still in search for a headphone amplifier for my Sennheiser HD-201 head set....

I came accross the attached circuit. What can you say about it?:confused:

The complete circuit literature can be seen here.

Attachments

• ne5532 based headphone amp..gif
    ne5532 based headphone amp..gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,643
NE5532 (or5534) can drive 600ohm loads. However your headphone is 24ohm. That means just one 5532 will not be enough for a headphone amp.
You may add a buffer to the outputs. May be BUF03 etc...
You may add a push pull output stage with lateral MOSFETs..
You may replace the op-amp with a high current and low gain capabilities one. I strongly recommend that Linear's LT1210... You can use it as non-inverted and unity gain (or more). Its sound is very smooth and as good as my Class A headamp...

Hi,
if you want to use opamps and IC solutions for this duty then I suggest the first thing you do is get into Walt Jung's site and read up about applying opamps and buffers to good audio effect.
He has details in there of a variety of very good audio circuits. Check out his compound opamp pair for driving low impedance loads.

He also has given us the opamp bible in PDF format which you should take to bed with you if you are serious.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes sir!

I feel that the NE5532 is not driving the Sennheiser HD-201 enough and there are lots of room in the headphone not being driven. :D

I am using the circuit with my iPod. Whenever I connect the amplifier to it, I feel that the music is only amplified a bit because the difference when using the headphone directly and using the headphone plus the amplifier is not that great. I estimate that the sound is just amplified around 25%.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Dxvideo said:
Do you mean,
Want to make a push pull stage to the output of NE5532?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.