TDA7375 as a subwoofer amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking to try TDA7375 as a subwoofer amplifier. This chip works on a single power supply. It has four inputs and outputs which can be bridged resulting in 2 inputs and outputs. I have tried this chip in bridged mode with 12V supply for a home use, and I'm satisfied with the sound.
My question is "how I can make a low pass crossover for a subwoofer application (for car and/or home use)" A simple RC filter in front of the input will work? Or, do I need to make an active crossover using TI opamps? I want to keep the supply voltage of 12V. Any kind of comment would be appreciated. Thanks.

diagram

Attached is a diagram from the datasheet showing a bridged mode application.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 830
It depends on your application. A simple RC filter will remove high frequencies, but it will neither remove them quickly or greatly reduce them. I suggest you use an active filter. This will not only give you at least a second order filter but it will also give you a stable input impedance to the amp. If you only want to use a single 12V supply it is easy enough to run the op amp from 12V and ground and bias the audio around 6V using a simple resistice divider. Make sure you DC couple the input and output of the filter. TI provides a program called FilterPro on their website that will get you schematics and component values. I would suggest an 80-100Hz crossover frequency, at least to start out with. You may want to tweak it later after you build it and listen.

Ive seen chip amp used in many things before, but rarely for a sub application. I took apart a small 35W harmon Kardon sub, that had a chip amp in it, but thats the only one ive ver seen. I have not had good experience as far as reliability and sound quality even above 100Hz with chip amps, i would not recommend using chip amps at all, but especially for a sub. they simply dont have the power capabilities and sufficient output current, go discrete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.