OPA2544 why not?, lets try!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Malquis is offline Malquis  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malquis
Wink OPA2544 why not?, lets try!!

Hi, every one I love the simplicity and quality of chipamps, I got some free samples from TI of the OPA2544 it's a pretty nice chip +-35V 2.5A output x2 so nice to build a powerful home I've build a nice board but not yet tested it if someone is interested please contact my, cause I don't know how much power I'can get from It at least 30W I think. If someone knows lets talk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opa2544.jpg (65.1 KB, 787 views)
Old 27th June 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There is some little detail I forgot that's 30W MINIMUM per channel and there are 6 channels, I investigated a bit more and think it's 100W Per channel possible so the board traks are quite thin I think for 600W.
I'll aprecciate you coments, thanks.
Old 27th June 2007, 05:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

you could reinforce the tracks by soldering tinned copper wire on them
Old 30th June 2007, 03:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks, I'll do that instead of a new board, at least to test it, if it works fine i'll make them bigger
Old 1st July 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You are wasting your time. This device has poor harmonic distortion due to cross-over distortion.
Old 2nd July 2007, 08:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So far I've built one two channel board and tested how it sounded, an compared to my LM3886 4 ch amp I couldn't notice any big sounding diference, but in temperature oh my god!!.Cause of the MOSFET output of the OPA2544 they didn't even got as hot as the LM3886, and they sounded quite loud. without distortion.
I'll send you an osciloscope picture as soon as I measure the power I can get from them that's what I don't know, I measured my LM3886 and they threw 72Wrms with +-38V quite amazing and the signal wasn't distorted yet!! now is the turn of the OPA2544 I'll tell you soon how much power this litlle one can handle but for now listening to music they sound really good couldn't make them distort before my speakers die. Did you thought a 12$US IC would sound bad , plus I'll ask you this: would texas instruments recommend to use their IC's in an audio amplifier if they weren't suitable for?
Saludos
Malco
Old 4th July 2007, 01:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

this chip has an unpleasant calm crackle, look like spilling of sand, which much mark on low and average level, particularly on solo composition (the grand piano, violin, vocal).
This particularity most chip and dispose of it is impossible. Same pertains and to OPA544.

sorry for my bad english
Old 4th July 2007, 02:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Although technically you could use the 2544 for audio, it is not very well suited.

The distortion is quite high, and increases at low powers and higher frequencies, so this is an indication of high cross-over distortion. And note the datasheet curves are given for 15 ohms load, so at 8 or 4 ohms you really don't want to look.

At a max output current of 2A that gives 1.4A RMS which in 8 ohms is just below 16W per channel.

Jan Didden
Old 4th July 2007, 02:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

so 2xOPA549 is more simply and better than 4xOPA2544
price identical
Old 4th July 2007, 03:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daim blond
so 2xOPA549 is more simply and better than 4xOPA2544
price identical

As far as output current is concerned a single 549 will outperform 4 * 2544, and drive 4 ohms. You can see that yourself if you take a look at the data sheet - that's what we all do.

Still, the distortion data for the 549 is quite similar to the 2544. Let's face it: these amps are easy to use but not high quality for linear audio use.

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!